Woman killed in Walmart shooting

Josh Beck | The Reflector

Large police presence at the Starkville Walmart

UPDATE JAN. 14
SPD released a statement which said William Thomas “Tommy” Chisholm is being held for capital murder with no bond. His first municipal court appearance is scheduled for Wednesday at 2 p.m.  
UPDATE 3:04 
According to SPD, Chisholm’s charge has been upgraded to capital murder. Being convicted of capital murder in the state of Mississippi can result in the capital punishment, life imprisonment without the possibility of parole or life imprisonment with parole eligibility.

UPDATE: 2:21 
According to Brandon Lovelady, Public Information Officer, the Starkville Police Department has charged 41-year old William Thomas “Tommy” Chisholm, of Kosciusko, with murder.
According to close friends interviewed at the scene, the individuals were in an “on-again-off-again” dating relationship. Chisholm is currently out on a felony bond for an incident related to the victim.
SPD Chief Nichols said the suspect entered the Walmart, confronted the victim, fired several shots. No one else was injured in the shooting, and SPD apprehended the suspect as he exited the store.

UPDATE: 11:56
Oktibbeha County Coroner Michael Hunt confirmed the victim in the Walmart shooting is optometrist Dr. Shauna Witt, of Starkville.
Witt was pronounced dead at 10:05 a.m. at the OCH Regional Medical Center

On Saturday, Jan. 13, 2018, at approximately 9:30 a.m., the Starkville Police Department responded to Walmart, 1010 Highway 12 West, for a report of shots fired.
According to SPD Chief Nichols, there was one victim who was transferred to OCH Regional Medical Center. The victim is believed to be the suspect’s estranged wife. All other Walmart patrons were safely evacuated following the detainment and arrest of the suspect.
“We believe this incident is isolated and domestic in nature,” Nichols said. “At this time, the scene is secure and we are still investigating this.”