3 historic romances in Mississippi State athletics

Joshua Britt

It is Valentine’s Day in Starkville, and while love is in the air, complete with roses and chocolates offered to loved ones, the world of sports shows its love through scoring points and advancing the ball. So for this Valentine’s season, here are three of the best romances in Mississippi State University athletics.

Mike Leach and Will Rogers

Although this era of Bulldog football has unfortunately come to an end, the relationship between coach Mike Leach and quarterback Will Rogers during their time in Starkville has left a lasting impact on both the program and the SEC. Under Leach’s Air Raid offense, Rogers ranked second in SEC history in career passing yards (12, 315), trailing only Aaron Murray from Georgia. Rogers also passed Dak Prescott for the most total yards in Mississippi State history. During Leach and Rogers’ time here, the Bulldogs could shoot a ball farther than Cupid could shoot an arrow of love straight into your heart.

Thunder and Lightning

Arguably the best bromance in the history of Bulldog baseball from a performance perspective, future MLB stars Will Clark and Rafael Palmeiro were a two-headed monster for the 1985 Mississippi State baseball team a team that analysts have called the best college baseball team to have never won the College World Series. Although they did not always get along on and off the field, the legacy they left on Dudy Noble Field is still felt today. Palmeiro remains the only SEC player to win the triple crown, leading the league in batting average, RBI’s and home runs. Clark also holds the school record for batting average and home runs, hitting a career .391 and 67 career home runs as a Bulldog.

Hunter Hines and Home Runs

If there is one thing Bulldog sophomore Hunter Hines loves this Valentine’s season, it is hitting home runs. Hines led the team in homers last season with 22 which is tied for the sixth most home runs in a single season in program history. As a Bulldog player, he has hit 38 career home runs the tenth most in program history. The relationship between him and his bat is something that cannot be matched, and Bulldog fans will be able to see him back in action this weekend when the Bulldogs host Air Force to start the new season.

Roses are red, violets are blue, Starkville loves sports and the Bulldogs are here to play for you. Happy Valentine’s Day!

Colin James
Colin James, Staff Writer
Colin James is a senior communication major. Colin is currently a staff writer for The Reflector.