MSU volleyball falls to Georgia Bulldogs

Ivy Rose Ball
The Mississippi State University volleyball team lost a three-set contest against the University of Georgia Sunday in Athens. The Bulldogs now stand with an 11-10 overall record and 4-7 in the conference, while Georgia now holds a 14-8 overall record and 5-5 in SEC play.
Mississippi State has played Georgia for the past 47 years — piling up to a total of 68 games played. Overall, these matchups have resulted in 50 losses and 18 wins for Mississippi State. MSU is on a current losing streak with the loss against the Georgia Bulldogs.
The first set of Sunday’s game was remarkably close. Points from both teams were scored back and forth with both teams chasing for the lead. MSU setter and redshirt senior Emily Oerther had a service error in the middle of the first set, resulting in Georgia’s 13th point of the game. It was not until the very end when both teams were tied 26-26 that Georgia came back and scored two points, resulting in a win for UGA.
In the second set, MSU was able to hold their lead at the beginning of the game. Once Georgia got their fifth point, however, they took over the lead and scored continuously against Mississippi State. MSU was not able to get back up against Georgia, resulting in a 13-25 set win for the Georgia Bulldogs.
Unfortunately, the Mississippi State Bulldogs could not rise their spirits enough to pull out a win in the third set. Georgia was the clear winner of the third set throughout its entirety. MSU failed to score a point until UGA’s outside hitter Julia Ana Bleeker had a service error, resulting in Mississippi State’s favor.
Despite the results of the game, various players had a tremendous game. Mississippi State’s sophomore outside hitter Sophie Agee posted a team-high for the fourth consecutive match with 10 kills. Junior opposite hitter Amina Shackelford came right behind Agee with nine kills with a .389 hitting clip and led the team with four blocks. Shackelford also had four digs and an ace during the game.
Senior outside hitter Karli Schmidt secured seven kills and a block, while middle blocker Zoe Gonzales provided three blocks and a kill as well. Another MSU Bulldog who tallied three blocks was redshirted first-year student Sanna Williams.
Mississippi State setters Erin Kline and Emily Oerther gathered 22 assists and nine digs within the match. Oerther issued a team-best of 18 assists and four digs, while Kline got four assists and five digs. Defensive specialist Lauren Myrick earned 11 digs on the backcourt defense while also getting four assists. On top of that, defensive specialist Mary Neal earned herself five digs and one assist in the match.
Mississippi State will be on the road again next week to take on the Tigers in Columbia, Missouri. The match will take place Friday at 6:30 p.m and will be broadcast on SEC Network.
Parker Acosta
Parker Acosta, Staff Writer
Parker Acosta is a sophomore communication major. Parker is currently a staff writer for The Reflector.