Running to golf: MSU PGA reaches New York City Marathon

Jeff Adkerson, Mississippi State University’s director of Professional Golfer’s Association Golf Management and Golf Operations, recently ran the New York City Marathon as a representative of the PGA of America.
Adkerson is well-versed in the organization, as he graduated from MSU in the PGA Golf Management program in 1999, and has worked as a part of the campus since 2003.
This organization includes “nearly 29,000 PGA professionals who work daily to grow interest and participation in the game of golf,” according to Adkerson. Because of that number, this sports organization is one of the largest in the world.
Running the New York City Marathon, Adkerson achieved one his dreams.
“Running a marathon has always been a bucket-list item, and New York City is one of my favorite places,” Adkerson said.
While the clear goal for him was to finish the 26.2 miles of the marathon, Adkerson also wanted to raise money for PGA REACH.
PGA REACH is the charitable branch of the organization. According to Ryan Cannon, senior director for the PGA REACH branch, it is a 501c3 nonprofit.
“Our mission is to impact lives through golf,” Cannon said.
Adkerson was one of few to run on behalf of PGA of America and help raise money.
“The PGA of America was able to secure 10 entries in the race in return for raising money for PGA REACH,” said Adkerson.
Overall, the organization raised almost $60,000, surpassing their goal of $30,000.
They plan to put this money toward progressing in their three main areas of focus, which are youth, military and inclusion, according to Cannon. Cannon said those three things help allow the organization to impact lives through golf.
“The proceeds will support PGA REACH programming nationwide,” stated Cannon.
Zach Tate, MSU’s PGA assistant director, said some of the money’s focus will be diverted to progressing in diversity inclusion, as well as growing junior golf throughout the U.S.
With the program including over 52,000 people, one of 18 campuses accredited by this organization is MSU. This campus has had a PGA of America program established since 1985.
Also, the campus gains benefits due to MSU’s specific partnership with PGA.
“(Last year,) we hosted a PGA Hope program for military veterans,” Adkerson said. ”The eight-week program was free for area veterans as a result of grant money received through PGA REACH.”
Adkerson said he was grateful to have the opportunity to run in the New York City Marathon.
“Knowing the impact PGA REACH can have on one’s life, combined with being able to check a bucket-list item, I was more than honored to join the PGA REACH Marathon Team,” Adkerson said
Cannon said PGA members help inspire and impact lives via golf.
“We are grateful for their commitment, and inspired everyday by the tireless efforts of PGA Members to impact lives through golf,” Cannon said.
If students are interested in becoming involved with PGA, they can visit www.PGAREACH.org.