Sean Starwars exhibit will display colorful prints, woodcuts

Courtesy Photo | Sean Starwars

On Jan. 26, Mississippi State University’s Visual Arts Center Gallery will display the works of Mississippi printmaker Sean Starwars in the “Star Wars: American Dream / Mississippi Nightmare” exhibit.
Native to Laurel, Mississippi, Starwars’ work presents vibrant colors and humorous profiles of Stormtroopers, Mississippi artists, mythical creatures and more.
The exhibition’s opening reception will be hosted from 5 to 6 p.m.
Along with the exhibit, Starwars will give an “Artist Talk” on Jan. 26 at 1 p.m. in room 209 of Briscoe Hall. Additionally, the artist will lead a printing workshop from 2 to 4:30 p.m. in room 204 of Briscoe Hall.  
Starwars has spent lots of time hosting exhibitions at universities, workshops and art lectures.
“I just had a blast with the students in Birmingham these last couple of days. When you’re actually showing the work, that’s always good, too, and when you’re talking about the work, that’s always good, too,” Starwars said. “My favorite thing to do is to get to work with students and just get them as excited about printmaking as I am.”
Jacob Crook, an assistant art professor and printmaking director at MSU, reached out to Starwars about composing an exhibition of his work. Years ago, the two had become acquainted in the printmaking industry.
“The planning of the exhibit has kind of been a year-and-a-half or two years long process with figuring out Sean’s availability and coordinating that with the gallery schedule,” Crook said.
Lori Neuenfeldt, gallery director for MSU’s Department of Art, said the exhibit will be a great way for students and the community to see the artwork being produced in Mississippi.
“It’s bright, it’s bold, it’s raw, it’s rough. The way I describe it is, to me, there’s a sound to it. It’s rock and roll,” Neuenfeldt said.
Starwars said his artwork was heavily influenced by his skateboarding background.
“Whenever I was in high school, it prompted me to look at some other things that I felt were kind of harmonious with the skateboarding aesthetic, and the thing I connected to was the work of German expressionists and then psychedelic poster artist,” Starwars said.
Additionally, Starwars’ love for color has shaped his work into vibrant animations.
“I want to go to Walmart, and I want to stay into the laundry detergent aisle and just be bombarded with fluorescent colors and artificial smells, and that vibe is kind of what drives my work,” Starwars said.
With his work being seen on TV sitcoms and on products for Hurley, Neuenfeldt said it was exciting to host a Mississippi artist with a wide range of experience.
Crook said students should expect to see bold marks, bright colors and interesting juxtapositions at the exhibit.
“Much of the work is centered around pop culture references and research of that kind,” Crook said.  
According to Crook, Starwars straddles the line between an “outsider” artist and a “professional” fine artist with lively artwork.
“I think that everyone should come and see his artwork because viewing artwork is a great way to expand your perspective as to what constitutes as fine art,” Crook said.

Payton Brown
Payton Brown, Former News Editor
Payton Brown served as the News Editor from 2022 to 2023.