Florist space to be replaced with sushi and noodle spot

Courtesy Photo | James Jankowksi

A tentative rendering of the new sushi restaurant coming to Lee Boulevard.

The University Florist is moving from 100 Lee Blvd. to the A.B. McKay Food Research and Enology Lab located at 205 Technology Blvd. The retail portion of the florist, which includes McCartys pottery and other MSU merchandise, will share space with the MAFES Sales Store at 925 Stone Blvd.
The florist will move to delivery only beginning Sept. 5, and on Sept. 20 will open with grab-and-go bouquets in a pop-in shop at the MAFES Sales Store.
Scott Willard, dean of the MSU College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS), said that most of the University Florist’s business is delivery and that the move will not impact productivity.
Aramark, MSU’s dining service, will be repurposing the former florist space on Lee Boulevard.
James Jankowski, resident district manager at Aramark, said that the space will be occupied by a new sushi and noodle restaurant, as well as a full-menu Subway with a refreshed design. Construction is scheduled to begin in January 2024.
This is the first step in a bigger plan to introduce innovative, open dining spaces on campus that will enhance the overall student dining experience,” Jankowski said.
Students in MSU’s Floral Management program work at the University Florist and gain experience in sourcing, purchasing, distributing, marketing, designing and selling floricultural products.
CALS Manager of Communications Karen Brasher said the University Florist has trained student floral retailers for 90 years.
“We are excited to transition the retail portion of the florist to the MAFES Sales Store, home of MSU cheese,” Brasher said.

Samuel Hughes
Samuel Hughes, Former News Editor
Samuel Hughes served as the News Editor from 2023 to 2024.