Reflector shows excellence at MPA, SEJC

Landon Scheel | The Reflector

The Reflector staff took home 25 awards at the Mississippi Press Association Better Student Newspaper Contest March 30

This spring, The Reflector obtained 41 awards at two student journalism competitions.
In February, staff members attended the Southeastern Journalism Competition at Nicholls State University in Thibodaux, Louisiana. The Reflector gathered 16 awards from the Best of the South and on-site competitions.
In the Best of the South portion of the contest, former editor-in-chief of The Reflector Heather Harrison was awarded fifth place in College Journalist of the Year, Best News Writer and Best Special Event Reporter/Editor.
“I’ve loved being able to learn the skill of journalism, and having these awards as tangible proof of what I’ve been able to accomplish means a lot to me,” Harrison said.
Former graphics editor Dontae Ball placed first for Best Artist/Illustrator.
“I’m proud of myself for getting the award and I’m happy I was with The Reflector,” Ball said.
Former advertising manager Sydni Vandevender won second place for Best Advertising Staff Member.
“It always feels nice to get recognized for my designs because it’s a nice little affirmation,” Vandevender said.
Staff writer Hannah Rae Kennedy won second place for Best Public Service Journalism.
Former news editor Payton Brown placed in third for Best Newspaper Page Layout Designer.
For on-site competitions, Harrison and Vandevender placed first in public relations. Additionally, Harrison placed second in news writing.
Former sports editor Dylan Flippo was awarded first in sports writing.
“The conference was such an amazing time, and I am so thankful I was able to participate in the competition,” Flippo said.
For sports photography, former photography editor Landon Scheel placed third.
“Before taking on this role, I didn’t know how to use professional editing software like Adobe Lightroom or how to manage my photos well from an organization standpoint, but I learned quickly and tried my best to make a name for myself as a photographer,” Scheel said.
Former managing editor Tanner Marlar placed second on the Media History quiz; staff writer Katie Rainwater placed third for the Media Law quiz.
On March 30, The Reflector attended the Mississippi Press Association O.C. McDavid Journalism Summit at the Mississippi Agriculture and Forestry Museum in Jackson. Staff members took home 25 awards in the Student Division of the Better Newspaper Contest. Ten were first-place awards.
Before the awards ceremony, participants watched a local Mississippi artist display her work, listened to a presentation about media law and heard from leaders in the Mississippi journalism industry.
At the beginning of the ceremony, staff writer Lizzie Tomlin won first place for Best General News Story. Rainwater placed first in Best Feature Story for her article on the displacement of a Ukrainian family who moved to Starkville.
Harrison won first place for Best General News Photo, and Scheel won first for Best Feature Photo. Current photography editor Ivy Rose Ball placed third for Best Feature Photo.
“It feels good knowing how far I’ve come and how hard I’ve had to work and to have that recognized, not just by my friends or coworkers or even peers on campus, but by something bigger like MPA,” Scheel said.
Additionally, Harrison placed second and third for Best Series or Investigative Package and third for Best Use of Video and Best Use of Social Media.
“I’m really grateful to The Reflector for the best three years of my life,” Harrison said.
Vandevender won second for Best Use of Social Media and first for Best Advertisement.
“I really like graphic design. It was one of the things that attracted me to this position even though I knew it was one of the things I’d be doing less of,” Vandevender said.
Marlar won first place for Best Sports Column and second for Best Sports Feature Story; sports writer and junior communication major Elizabeth Keen won second place for Best Sports Column. Staff photographer Kat Beatty won third place for Best Sports Photo.
“MPA and SEJC have always been a great kickoff to awards season for us, and I’m so thankful to have went out on top with the best paper and group of people imaginable,” Marlar said.
Flippo won second for Best Sports News Story.
For the Best General Interest Column, former opinion editor Luke Copley won first place, staff writer John Baladi was awarded second and former life and entertainment editor Trey Barrett placed third.
“It was a lovely bit of punctuation on a really important part of my college experience, and I’m really appreciative of the recognition for the work that we do,” Copley said.  
The Reflector was awarded first for Best Front Page, which was designed and edited by Brown, second in Best Design and third in Best Editorials. Managed by current editor-in-chief Joshua Britt, The Reflector was also awarded first in Best Website.
“Through and through, we’re keeping up with design trends and readability. We’re improving our website constantly to make sure our users can use it efficiently and get to what they’re looking for,” Britt said.
To end the MPA conference, The Reflector was awarded first place in Overall Excellence for the third year in a row.
“We have something special here at The Reflector, and if any reader is considering joining, here’s your sign to do so. This place is amazing,” Marlar said.

Payton Brown
Payton Brown, Former News Editor
Payton Brown served as the News Editor from 2022 to 2023.