MSU fashion program offers new, industry-level technology

Courtesy Photo | Miriam Cochran

Students have the opportunity to intern during study abroad programs. From left to right: Alex Owings, Irelan Burke, Katie Smith, Miriam Cochran studied in Florence, Italy.

The Fashion Design and Merchandising program at Mississippi State University is updating its facilities to better prepare students for the fast-paced fashion industry.
Charles Freeman Jr., an associate professor and graduate coordinator in the fashion design and merchandising department, said there have been upgrades to textile testing facilities, construction equipment and 3D design and visual merchandising software to better prepare students for their careers in the field.
“We changed a lot to help modernize our curriculum, that really focuses on getting student careers in the fashion industry,” Freeman said. “These tools are being currently used in the industry and so our students who are using them here on campus are getting the exact same experience with tools and software that they would actually be using on the job.”
Faculty focuses their teachings on helping students land their first job by upgrading almost everything in the program to be industry-level. The program uses experimental teaching methods to prepare students for an ever-changing industry.
“One thing that really sets us apart from other programs is we have a group of faculty that really cares about student success,” Freeman said. “We are quick to incorporate new changes from the industry like AI, 3D design and fitting and a lot more technology that is coming out that our students need to be up to speed on.”
To keep up with the shifting trends of the fashion world, the program frequently reevaluates the curriculum to match the career paths. Freeman said it is important to keep lesson plans relevant to the current industry.
“There’s always changes that still need to be made,” Freeman said. “We’re actually going through a review of our curriculum right now; we will be rolling out a new curriculum hopefully in the next year or two.”
Students receive interactive instruction and are encouraged to learn the physical skills needed to work in design or merchandising. Miriam Cochran, a senior in the fashion design and merchandising program, said the program defied her expectations.
“In my previous major, I was in really big classes with a lot of students. The environment was really learn, test and move on, that’s just how it worked,” Cochran said. “But when I took my first fashion class, I noticed the environment was very interactive and hands-on and had a newer approach to learning.”
Cochran has participated in various industry-level projects.
“In my Fashion Consumer Behavior class this semester, we’re going to do some virtual reality because that’s a very new, emerging tool in the fashion world,” Cochran said. “We really get to see the industry in action as it’s changing.”
Technology and computer software are constantly updated, and recent upgrades have allowed students to utilize 3D design in their studies. Cochran said the upgraded facilities and resources contribute to student success.
“We are always learning the latest computer programs like Photoshop and different CAD programs,” Cochran said. “The design students have a really hands-on sewing lab with very up-to-date, state-of-the-art technology.”
Because of the skills she developed in the program, Cochran was able to study abroad and complete an internship in New York. Ellie Riddle, a 2023 graduate of the fashion program, was able to secure a job designing and altering looks for Karen Hendrix Couture, a Nashville-based bridal designer upon graduation.
“As soon as I graduated, I was able to take what I learned and apply it to find a real job,” Riddle said. “I attribute a lot of my success to the familiarity I have with design tools that I used for my classes at MSU.”
Riddle thanks this program for helping her achieve the position and feels that she was fully equipped to take on the challenges of the real-world industry.
“At MSU I learned valuable skills like garment construction, pattern making, and product design,” Riddle said. “I am so grateful for my time in the program for teaching me how to excel in the fashion world with effective hands-on learning.”

Lizzie Tomlin
Lizzie Tomlin, Staff Writer
Lizzie Tomlin is a senior political science major. Lizzie is currently a staff writer for The Reflector.