Tuesday night staple continues on at Fountain Bar

Madelyn Sykes | The Reflector

On Tuesday nights in the Cotton District, a crowd of students gather outside of the locally-famous Fountain Bar on University Drive to enjoy the three drinks-for-$1 special.
The busy streets of downtown Starkville offer nightlife options for students to enjoy, including bars like the Fountain Bar.
This local bar has been offering the 3-4-1 special for almost 10 years. Despite taking place in the middle of the week, patrons flood the business weekly to partake in the decade-long Starkville tradition.
Owen Anderson, general manager at Fountain Bar, described a typical Tuesday night at work.
“We are definitely the busiest bar in the District on Tuesdays. The 3-4-1 special offers three drinks for the price of one, which is meant to encourage students to bring their friends and buy each other rounds,” said Anderson.
Anderson said the bar created the drink deal to attract students at Mississippi State University who are in need of a good time for a cheap price. Compared to other bar prices, he said he felt the 3-4-1 special was among the best in the city.
Anderson explained why he thinks students are so drawn to the Tuesday night special.
“The price is unbeatable; it’s hard to pass up a deal as good as the 3-4-1. Not only that, but it provides a community for students to meet each other and make friends,” Anderson said.
Anderson said if students meet at a 3-4-1 special, they are likely to meet there again. On the scene of a typical 3-4-1 special, there are many friendly faces smiling and laughing with their friends, according to this reporter’s observation.
Lanie McAlister, a junior majoring in elementary education, said she is a Tuesday night regular at the Fountain Bar.
“I honestly enjoy going out on a Tuesday. It’s a good break during the week,” McAlister said.
Many students who were waiting in line to get into the bar on Tuesday night agreed with McAlister and expressed they needed a break from school work and an excuse to see friends.
The 3-4-1 special is not the only event on Tuesday nights in Starkville.
Ava Peeples, a local bartender and Fountain Bar regular, said she loved including bingo in her Tuesday night plans.
“I love going to the 3-4-1. It’s the best place to go after bingo on Tuesday; the deal is just unbeatable,” said Peeples.
McAlister described these nights as “Turnt Tuesdays” and agreed with Peeples’ excitement about Tuesday nights.
The crowd provides a popular party environment, but staff and long-time customers may be overwhelmed by the long lines and limited space. Bryce Maniscalco, a former bartender at the Fountain Bar, described his experience working a 3-4-1 Tuesday.
“It’s three drinks for the price of one so it’s chaos and fun. From a bartender standpoint, it is a night of constant pouring,” said Maniscalco.
Though the night is fun for the customers, Maniscalco described how hectic the night can be and the stress it can put on staff and management. Savannah Peterson, a long-time follower of the 3-4-1 special, provided a timeline of her experience.
“The 3-4-1 has always been the spot for me. I love it, but I used to love it a lot more. Now that it’s so busy and crowded, it can be chaotic and a little too crazy,” said Peterson.
Jenna Sutherland, a senior majoring in interdisciplinary studies, said she does not mind the crowded environment, as it is one of the main reasons she enjoys the special so much. She described why she is a devoted 3-4-1 fan.
“It’s like one of the spurs of the moment plans that always ends up being a good time. I don’t have to invite my friends or plan ahead. I know I will run into people I know, and I know they will be there to have fun,” said Sutherland. 
Though opinions on the 3-4-1 specials may differ, there was no lack of customers at the Fountain Bar last Tuesday night.
“See y’all next Tuesday,” said Sutherland as the bartenders yelled for last call.

Lizzie Tomlin
Lizzie Tomlin, Staff Writer
Lizzie Tomlin is a senior political science major. Lizzie is currently a staff writer for The Reflector.