Volleydawgs drop Michigan Invitational as SEC play looms

Landon Scheel | The Reflector

The Mississippi State University volleyball team traveled to Ann Arbor, Michigan this past Thursday to play Bowling Green State University and the University of Michigan in the Michigan Invitational, but came up short in both games to close non-conference play. 
On day one of the Michigan Invitational against Bowling Green, the Bulldogs played a strong match – battling to keep the match neck-and-neck. The first two sets were won by the Falcons by scores of 26-24 and 25-23. 
MSU came back to take the third set 26-24 and the fourth set 25-16, extending the match to a fifth set. Unfortunately for the Bulldogs, Bowling Green took the fifth set, breaking the tie with a score of 15-8. The Bulldogs fought hard and kept the match going but came up short in the end. As a team, Mississippi State had a total of 68 kills and a hitting percentage of .238 against Bowling Green. 
Bulldogs head coach Julie Darty Dennis gave her thoughts on the team’s performance after the game on Thursday.
“It was a really long and tough night for the Bulldogs,” Dennis said. “The match didn’t end the way we wanted it to, but we never gave up and we didn’t go down without a fight. We have a lot to learn and improve upon. Bowling Green is a tough team that wears you down and wants to stay with you in the long rallies. We have a quick turnaround, and we will be ready to compete tomorrow against a very good Michigan team.”
Day two of the Invitational against Michigan did not favor the Bulldogs either. MSU played hard and tried to battle back, but ultimately did not come out on top. 
Michigan claimed the first two sets 25-16 and 25-8, the Bulldogs made a comeback in the third set with a score of 25-22. Michigan claimed the fourth set 25-6 winning the match. This was a tough fight for the Bulldogs, and they came up short.
Coach Dennis spoke to the media after the game about the team’s attempt to battle back after the second set against the Wolverines.
“We didn’t execute our game plan well enough, for long enough to stay in that match,” Dennis said. “I am proud of our response after set two. Seeing our team bounce back like that is a positive, but we have found a way to compete that hard and for longer stretches of time. I believe in this team, and they believe in each other. We certainly got the tough competition we wanted before we start the SEC play next week.” 
MSU volleyball returns to Starkville with a record of 7-3 as the start of their SEC schedule looms. These matches ended MSU’s non-conference competition of this season. 
After the Michigan Invitational, Coach Dennis said the Volleydawgs are ready to return to Starkvegas for their upcoming SEC home-opener against the University of Georgia.
“We are excited to get home, get focused and start our conference slate on our home court,” Dennis said. “We need our family more than ever right now, so we hope to see everyone at The Griss on Wednesday.” 
The Volleydawgs return home to begin their SEC schedule this week welcoming the Georgia Bulldogs to Starkville on Wednesday, September 21 at 7 p.m.