Volleydawgs stumble and fall to Missouri Tigers

Volleyball
Noah McCord | The Reflector
Volleyball

In a devastating upset, the Mississippi State University volleyball team took another loss to their season against Missouri on Friday night in a 0-3 score domination.

The need for a comeback in this game was overwhelming considering the Bulldogs’ previous upset from Georgia Oct. 29, which also ended in a 0-3 total.
Head coach Julie Darty Dennis knew that Missouri would be a difficult opponent to beat. Dennis had high hopes heading into the Bulldog’s match against Missouri. 
“We are always excited for an opportunity to compete,” Dennis said. “This is a tough weekend on the road, but I think the Dawgs are ready to compete.”
A tough weekend it was. The Bulldogs battled, but unfortunately, the Tigers got the best of them.
The competition between Missouri and Mississippi State began with a bang as a serve from MSU freshman starter Mary Neal was struck down immediately with a kill from Missouri’s Colleen Finney.
That first play seemed to set the tone for the rest of the gam despite the Bulldog’s defensive efforts. The first set resulted in a 25-15 loss, followed by a closer 25-18 run within the second and third sets.
Between the two teams, Missouri took an upper hand when it came to the percentage of points scored. Missouri accumulated over 50% of the points scored for the game with the Bulldogs sitting at about 28%. However, Mississippi State proved themselves capable when it came to attack rates, averaging 96 attacks throughout the game.
The Bulldogs put up a good fight with redshirt junior Amina Shackleford setting a fire underneath the offensive path this game. Shackelford ended the game with 11 kills, two digs and one block.
Sophomore Sophie Agee also showed up again as a crucial leader for the Bulldogs. Her impressive skills helped the Bulldog’s score a much needed total of 10 points. Following this, Agee also totaled 9 kills, one dig and an ace.
Redshirt senior Emily Oerther was another trailblazer for the Bulldogs, handling 21 solid assists, 8 digs and even one kill across the three sets.
Although the Bulldogs put up an extensive and brutal fight, the team has now moved to a 4-9 SEC record and 11-11 for overall play.
Despite the rough loss, head coach Darty Dennis remained a constant figure of encouragement for the Bulldogs throughout the game.
“I am proud of the work we have put in during the week to get ourselves prepared and ready for two very good opponents,” Darty Dennis said. “We are going to have to stay focused and dialed in but I know this team is very capable of playing great volleyball.”
In hopes of restoring their winning streak, the Mississippi State Bulldogs will face off against South Carolina at home in Newell-Grissom Nov. 8 at 7 p.m. The game will be aired on SEC network.