SA Senate recap: first meeting of the new semester

SA senate
SA senate

The Mississippi State University Student Association Senate met for the first time this semester on Jan. 23 after delays due to last week’s inclement weather, but with the Senate in session once again, SA activities are in full swing.
Starting off on a light note, the meeting commenced with an examination of the Senate’s remaining funds, which are in abundant supply. The Appropriations Committee in the Senate has plenty of funds to continue their support of student organizations’ events and activities for the remaining school year.
However, the availability of funds does not ensure funding, SA must approve the funds to organizations. With this being said, groups are encouraged to continue to try and create student activities for the campus to enjoy.
Following in the same vein, Act 11, an Appropriations Committee approval of funds, was passed during the meeting. Several highlights of the funding are the Black Student Association’s “National Drug and Alcohol Fact Day,” the Fashion Board’s Spring 2018 issue of Être Magazine and the third-year continuation of the MSU’s Dance Marathon.
Appointed Seat Sen. Pennie Frith was up for impeachment, after having three and a half unexcused absences. However, the SA constitution states the Senate can undo an absence to prevent an impeachment if a successful vote occurs.
Frith explained due to health-related concerns and extraneous circumstances, she was regretfully unable to attend some Senate meetings last semester. However, she assured the Senate she would carry out her position dutifully this semester. After Frith stepped down from her committee chairperson position, the Senate voted to remove one and a half absences from Frith’s record, thus allowing her to stay on the Senate.
Resolution 45 shows student support for a Mississippi Senate bill allowing students to perform their absentee voting at the Office of the Registrar on campus, rather than a campus-separate location. Resolution 46 shows student support for MSU’s eventual switch to Canvas Learning Management System, in place of the Blackboard system currently used on myCampus. Both resolutions passed unanimously.
Finally, Bill 33 renames several student organization categories designated by the Center for Student Activities. For example, “Honorary/Other” is now simply referred to as “University.” Similarly, “Faith Based” is now “Faith or Thought Based,” and “Recreational” is now “Competitive Sports/Recreational Activities.” Though the Senate has renamed the categories, it is up to the Center for Student Activities to designate all clubs to their new places, if at all needed.

Dylan Bufkin
Dylan Bufkin, Former Editor-in-Chief
Dylan Bufkin served as the Editor-in-Chief of The Reflector from 2020 to 2021. He also served as the Opinion Editor from 2019 to 2020.