MSU soccer smashes Kentucky’s perfect SEC record

Soccer
Ivy Rose Ball | The Reflector
Soccer

The Mississippi State University women’s soccer team brought home an SEC win over the Kentucky Wildcats after a brisk evening match in Lexington Sunday.
Kentucky was holding tightly onto a perfect SEC record prior to their encounter with Mississippi State. The Wildcats went into the game looking to add another win to their impressive streak, but MSU came determined to win.
As the two teams took the field, fans roared through chattering teeth in anticipation of the intense match that was about to take place. 
The Bulldogs came out with a fire under their feet and winning on their mind. The team remained consistent, taking shot after shot.
The Wildcats were sharp on both sides on the ball, but it was clear that the competitors were evenly matched. The Bulldogs and Wildcats battled it out on the field and made it difficult for either team to secure the upper hand. 
As the ball was passed back and forth down the field, the Bulldogs were able to pull off four shot attempts against the Wildcats, proving the team’s grit and perseverance. Mississippi State’s defense did not allow any shots from Kentucky during the entire first half.
As halftime rolled around, both teams were left scoreless with the fate of the game still up in the air. 
The Bulldogs came back on the field ready to dominate after the break. Within the first five minutes, Mississippi State’s junior midfielder Haley McWhirter sent a wild ball into the net after ricocheting off a Wildcats player.
This was the first score of the game, pushing the Bulldogs a 1-0 lead over Kentucky as they fought for more.
The Wildcats attempted to rally back with six shot attempts and a great deal of defense, but despite their efforts, the Bulldogs held onto their lead.
As the clock ticked down, Mississippi State sought to preserve their success with another shot against the Wildcats. The Bulldogs chemistry on the field was unmatched.
Junior midfielder and forward Hannah Johnson strutted down the field with perfect control on the ball until she found sophomore forward Maggie Wadsworth to pass the ball toward. Wadsworth took possession of the ball in the 78th minute of the game and took it all the way for a Mississippi State goal.
With a little over ten minutes left in the game, Mississippi State left the Wildcats trailing by two points. The Bulldogs defense stood its ground and did not allow Kentucky to take another shot.
As the clock hit zero, the Bulldogs secured a 2-0 Mississippi State victory against the previously undefeated Kentucky Wildcats. This improved Mississippi State’s record to 9-3-3 overall and 4-2-1 in SEC play.
The Bulldogs look to continue their three-game win streak when they take on Vanderbilt at home Thursday at 6 p.m. The match will be broadcast on SEC Network.

Aubrey Carter
Aubrey Carter, Managing Editor
Aubrey Carter is a junior communication major with a concentration in broadcast & digital journalism from Birmingham, Alabama. She currently serves as the Managing Editor and served as the Sports Editor from 2023 to 2024. [email protected]