Walmart shooter charged with capital murder

Courtesy Photo

William Thomas “Tommy” Chisholm charged with capital murder

On Jan. 13, 2018, at approximately 9:30 a.m., the Starkville Police Department responded to Walmart, 1010 Highway 12 West, for a report of shots fired.
According Nichols, there was one victim who was immediately transferred to OCH Regional Medical Center. Oktibbeha County Coroner Michael Hunt confirmed the victim, Dr. Shauna Witt, was pronounced dead at 10:05 Saturday morning. Witt served as an optometrist at the Walmart vision clinic and store.
SPD arrived at the scene in a matter of minutes where they found the 41-year-old suspect William Thomas “Tommy” Chisholm exiting the building with a handgun. After a brief struggle, SPD officers quickly apprehended and arrested Chisholm without further injury.
Following the incident SPD Chief Nichols provided a brief description of the incident.
“The suspect entered the store, confronted the victim and fired several shots in the store,” Nichols said. “We believe this incident is isolated and domestic in nature. At this time, the scene is secure, and we are still investigating this.”
According to close friends interviewed at the scene, the individuals were in an “on-again-off-again” dating relationship.
According to Brandon Lovelady, SPD communication officer, Chisholm is being held for capital murder with no bond. Initially, Chisholm’s first municipal court appearance was scheduled for Wednesday at 2 p.m. However, due to the municipal court being closed due to weather on Wednesday his court appearance was rescheduled for 6 p.m. on Monday.
In addition, Chisholm has also been charged with malicious mischief (misdemeanor) for damage to a police vehicle, and aggravated assault.
In April 2012, Chisholm was also involved in a four-hour standoff in Madison county. Madison County Sheriff’s Department responded to the incident.
According to Madison County Chief Deputy Jeremy Williams, Chisholm’s mother called the police asking to make a welfare check on her son.
“We received a call on April 27, 2012, from Mr. Chisholm’s mother she was concerned about his welfare,” Williams said. “We arrived to the scene to attempt to check on him and we ended up in a four hour stand off.”
The incident perpetuated until law enforcement officers deployed tear gas into the home and apprehended Chisholm. He was arrested and taken to the hospital for a mental evaluation.
Williams said the incident was referred to the Madison County District Attorney office where no charges were made due to the the situation being a domestic welfare check and not an arrest. Chisholm did not spend any time in jail.