Shelby Baldwin: Miss MSU

Beth Wynn – MSU

2018 Homecoming Court (photo by Beth Wynn / © Mississippi State University)

During halftime at this Saturday’s football game, the homecoming court will be presented to the student body. This year, Miss MSU will be represented by Shelby Baldwin.
Baldwin is a senior from Ridgeland, Mississippi, who is majoring in marketing.
Baldwin said she is excited to have this title.
“I’m extremely honored to represent the student body in this way because I feel like Miss MSU is a position that really does have to be a representative and relatable to all the student body, and ever since I found out I got the position, I’ve felt humbled the entire time just thinking of how awesome it is for me to do that,” Baldwin said.
Baldwin been very involved on campus in her time here; she was president of New Maroon Camp and is currently President of Undergrad Women in Business. She said she chose to apply for Miss MSU because she believes it represents every part of the student body. Ever since she was voted for by a panel of judges made up of MSU faculty and staff, Baldwin said she has been humbled and in awe of the honor.
“It’s kind of a surreal feeling that when I am on the field Saturday, I’m going to be representing all the thousands of students that I have loved for the past four years and wished to better the environment around them, and that I get to represent them is just really awesome for me,” Baldwin said. ”I would never have thought I would have been able to do that.”
Baldwin has also been an ambassador for the MSU College of Business, and she said she is always looking for ways to productively volunteer her time. Her supervisor in the Office of Recruiting and Events for the College of Business is Kelsey Waters. Waters said she has remained impressed with Baldwin’s work ethic and attitude for the entirety of their acquaintance.
“She works hard, she’s creative and empowered, but at the same time, she is completely and totally humble,” Waters said. “I am so proud of her because I don’t think that anybody could have deserved it more.”