A service state of mind

Events to honor Veterans Infographc
Events to honor Veterans Infographc

Scott Shepard, a criminology major, is not the average Bulldog at Mississippi State University. This 32-year-old junior is also a student veteran who served six years as an active duty military policeman in the United States Army.
Shepard said he knew he wanted to join the Army when he was 15 years old, witnessing the fall of the Twin Towers on 9/11. The role of military policeman was perfect for him because Shepard’s main goal is to help those who cannot help themselves.
Logan Smith, a recent MSU graduate, said she greatly admires Shepard’s willingness to inconvenience himself for others and his genuine love for helping other people. Though he frequently makes sacrifices for his friends, Shepard never considers it an inconvenience, according to Smith.
“Not only did he (Shepard) put his life on the line to serve his country, he has chosen to continue to make that sacrifice in his future career,” Smith said. “But he doesn’t see it as a sacrifice—serving his country is what he wants to do.”
Shepard’s time in active duty was spent in Afghanistan. He described his tour as a life-changing experience made bearable by the soldiers serving alongside him. Shepard said he would deploy with them again if he could.
Though times were interchangeably tough and good, Shepard said he would instantly relive the opportunity to see the world from a different perspective.
“It was truly a bonding of brothers and sisters in going through something that the majority of people will never go through,” Shepard said. “The trust and faith you put in your battle buddies fighting next to you, knowing that they have your back and you have theirs, is unparalleled.”
Shepard first attended MSU as a freshman 13 years ago and left after his first year, and would later enlist and be deployed. The second time around, he said, is much easier, as well as slower paced. Shepard said he now finds it easier to focus on things needing to be done, but the experience is very different all around.
“It’s weird to be around students who don’t remember 9/11 and what it felt like to watch it unfold on the news that day,” Shepard said. “The age gap makes things a bit difficult at times, but I’m surrounded by fantastic people and love going to Mississippi State.”
Amber McCord, a junior Human Development and Family Sciences major, said she feels she can go to Shepard for advice on anything.
“I usually don’t know what he is going to say, but I know it is always going to be something interesting, memorable, thoughtful or hilarious,” McCord said. “It’s practically impossible to sum up what a high-quality person he is.”
Shepard not only has advice for student veterans, but also for those considering going back to school. For student veterans, Shepard said he recommends going to class and keeping a positive attitude. With basic training behind them, veterans have already received everything they need to be successful, Shepard said.
Nothing is impossible for those thinking about returning to college either, according to Shepard. Time makes the transition easier, as well as continued discipline and class attendance.
Kameron Talley, a graduate student at MSU who aspires to work with veterans returning home, said she considers it an honor to call Shepard her friend.
“I’m so proud of him for returning to school after serving our country,” Talley said. “Scott Shepard will continue to do great things for this country, and I hope he knows how much support he has to fulfill his dreams.”