University holds 25th Unity Breakfast honoring MLK Jr.

In celebration of Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., the Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion at Mississippi State University will host the 25th Annual Unity Breakfast and Day of Service at The Mill Conference Center.
This community event will begin at 8 a.m. Monday with breakfast, followed by the 9 a.m. program.
The keynote speaker for this year’s event is Marcus L. Thompson, the deputy commissioner and chief administrative officer for the Mississippi Institution of Higher Learning (IHL). Thompson also serves as the system diversity officer for IHL and the pastor of Mt. Ridge United Methodist Church in Brandon.
Tyrel Jernigan, coordinator of Diversity Initiatives in the Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion, said it is important for events like this to take place in order to continue the legacy of King.
“We’re fulfilling his dream by being engaged and staying connected to the community, as well as allowing our students to understand what service really is,” Jernigan said.
Looking to encourage more student participation, Jernigan said four residence halls will live-stream the program on Monday. These residence halls include Herbert, Oak, Dogwood and Griffis. There will also be doughnuts and coffee for attendees.
In conjunction with the Unity Breakfast, the Maroon Volunteer Center, Volunteer Starkville and the Office of Sorority and Fraternity Life are coordinating a “Day of Service” for volunteers.
Volunteers can include students, faculty, staff and community members. There will be a chance to register to volunteer for service sites at the event. Volunteer sites will be assigned between 8 and 10 a.m.
After the program, volunteers will report to their service sites to volunteer from 10:45 a.m. until 12:45 p.m. Service sites will be scattered throughout the Starkville and Columbus area. Transportation will be provided upon request during registration.
Emily Bedwell, a graduate service assistant at the Maroon Volunteer Center, said the MLK Day of Service is a great way for volunteers to make a difference in the community.
“It’s special that people are taking time out on a holiday to volunteer and give back to the community that they’re a part of,” Bedwell said.
Bedwell said there are usually about 600 volunteers each year, with roughly 20 service sites. She said this is a great opportunity for students and others to become more familiar with the community.
“They can see the needs within the community that they may not have realized were present,” Bedwell said.
Jernigan said this event reaches beyond the university and extends into the local communities through the “Day of Service.” He said it is important for students to consider King’s goal to be of service to those in needs.
“We want our students to have the same qualities as MLK, and share them with the city of Starkville,” Jernigan said. “We’re not just Mississippi State, but we’re Starkville, Mississippi, as well.”