Cobb Institute of Archaeology lands James Hardin as interim director

Beth Wynn | Courtesy Photo

Archaeologist and associate professor Jimmy Hardin is the interim director of  Cobb Institute of Archaeology. 

Mississippi State University alum, archeologist and associate professor Jimmy Hardin was announced as the interim director of the Cobb Institute of Archaeology.
Hardin is replacing Evan Peacock, a colleague and former classmate of Hardin’s, following his retirement. Hardin was third in line of a succession of interim directors, causing him to jokingly refer to himself as “the third string.” However, depending on his performance, Hardin said he is hoping to turn this new position into a permanent one after a year, having been told by the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences to prepare for the future and “put plans in place for a long-term strategy.”
According to an MSU press release, Hardin received his PhD and master’s degree, both of which are in Near Eastern archaeology, from the University of Arizona after graduating from MSU with a bachelor’s degree in anthropology.
Hardin’s career took off in 1997 when he became a junior research associate for the Cobb Institute at MSU. He was promoted to assistant professor of religion in the Department of Philosophy and Religion in 2002. Later, in 2008, he joined the Department of Anthropology and Middle Eastern Cultures as an associate professor when it was newly founded.
Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences Rick Travis praised Hardin’s successes.
“Dr. Hardin is a leading expert in the archeological record that focuses on the early establishment of the states of Judah and Israel around 1,000 B.C. His research plays a key role in helping to understand the development of the early kingdom borders of these political entities,” Travis said in a press release.
Hardin said he had a profound interest in expanding and encouraging the department’s projects.
Hardin specializes in the Iron and Bronze Age cultures within the area of ancient Syria-Palestine, but is also regarded as an expert in analyzing ceramics. Within the archaeological field, he has a wide array of interests. One such interest is using archaeology, anthropology, biblical texts and other historical manuscripts to increase the understanding of ancient Near Eastern cultures and Old Testament history.
Travis also said Hardin was a “highly accomplished teacher,” who has taught hundreds of students in the field on archeological trips to Israel.
“That we can direct our own archaeological excavations and train MSU students–as well as others–in archaeological survey and field excavations in the Middle East is rather unique,” Hardin stated.
One of these trips influenced a younger Hardin to pursue Middle Eastern archaeology, a passion he shares and nurtures in other young students.
Kara Larson, a student of Hardin’s, said he is a great mentor.
“It’s been the most amazing experience, it’s almost hard to put it into words… He has such a large reputation that comes along with his name and the research that he’s done. On the flip side, he’s super approachable, he’s always willing to help, he’s so friendly,” Larson said. “It’s completely comfortable and he’s an amazing mentor.”
His care for his students was prominent in the way he joked with Larson. He also briefly stalled an interview with The Reflector to make sure a student had tweezers to remove a splinter.
Hardin has a long history of archaeological fieldwork including sites in Jordan, Cyprus and Israel. He also co-directs excavations and surveys at a small Iron Age site in southern Israel called Khirbet Summeily, located in the border region of ancient Judah and Philistia.
Hardin’s work in Israel will continue as he settles into the role of interim director, but he expressed excitement to discover opportunities both within and beyond the college. He is particularly excited for the Cobb Institute’s existing work in the Mediterranean Basin, southeastern U.S. and the Caribbean.
“I love that I get to do what I get to do, and the fact that I can do it here is pretty special,” Hardin said.
Coming from five generations of MSU alumni, Hardin said he feels the opportunity to be a faculty member is an honor and he is continuing a family legacy that “bleeds maroon.”