Non-profit expands to solve community challenges

Jacob Mitchell | The Reflector

In 2023, Starkville Strong will continue to put forth effort in support of community needs.
Brandi Herrington, executive director of Starkville Strong, shared the goals of the non-profit organization for the new year.
“For 2023, we are beginning to move beyond the typical asks of non-profits, and we are asking people to think outside of the box,” Herrington said.
Herrington spoke of the more unique issues that the community faces, such as the Ukrainian families who relocated to Starkville following the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
Instead of the usual need for monetary donations, Herrington said contributions, like a Rosetta Stone subscription, would assist Ukrainian families in their transition to life in the U.S.
Amber Mullins, an intern for Starkville Strong, spoke of the ongoing housing crisis across the Starkville community.
“There are housing complexes that are actually dangerous,” said Mullins, a senior English major. 
Herrington added to Mullins’ comment and said many members of the Starkville community with fixed incomes struggle to find housing that is affordable, habitable and available. Starkville Strong is collaborating and working with locals to make change at a faster rate.
Rebekah Carruth, an active volunteer with Starkville Strong, said homelessness continues to be an issue for citizens. Misinformation interferes with the reality of the housing crisis in Starkville.
“There is a disbelief that Starkville has a homeless population that we are trying to counteract,” said Carruth, a junior philosophy major.
Carruth explained that residents do not think the city has people experiencing homelessness since the issue is not widely known. 
As Starkville Strong continues to address these issues, it has been making strides with funding and internal growth, Herrington said.
In August 2022, Herrington created committees that work towards particular needs of the community. She said the volunteers would continue to progress during the new year.
Carruth is a member of the Community Advocacy Committee, which seeks to raise awareness and educate the community about city issues.
“These committees have given a lot of people an avenue where they can show up and do the work,” Carruth said.
Beyond the expansion of these committees, Starkville Strong partnered with Five Horizons Health Services, another non-profit organization, to receive a second office space.
At the new location, Herrington said she hopes to have meetings with clients and add a second food pantry.
While the team continues to apply for more grants, Herrington said Starkville Strong has been officially accepted as a United Way Allocation Agency, which gives the non-profit federal funding to continue working towards its goals.
Even though it is growing, Starkville Strong continues to require community support, said the executive director. 
“We always need funding, and we always need food donations,” Herrington said.
Starkville Strong participants work alongside community members to show their potential and a hope for a more stable future. Herrington said it seeks to provide real help for real problems instead of temporary solutions.
“We don’t do Band-Aids,” Herrington said.