Mr. MSU 2023: Matteo Mauro

Courtesy Photo | Office of Public Affairs
Mr. MSU 2023

Matteo Mauro, a senior communication major, was recently named Mississippi State University’s 2023 Mr. MSU.
Mauro said his Mississippi State University experience has been transformative.
“When I came to Mississippi State University, I was a kid at the height of the COVID pandemic with no friends, community or direct way I knew I needed to go,” Mauro said. “That is why I have such great school spirit for this place. It took everything I thought I was missing out on and placed it in front of me like a never-ending buffet. Mississippi State offers a plethora of opportunities that can lead to life-long connections, not just through extracurriculars and career connections but also life-long friends.”
Mauro said his love for the homecoming tradition pushed him to campaign for the title.
“I had come from a non-SEC family with no connections towards big-name college traditions. So, the idea of running for a position based off of my merit, hard work, academic integrity, and standing within my community was an opportunity I could not pass up,” Mauro said.
Isabella Sanders is a Starkville resident and meets with Mauro for chats at Strange Brew Coffeehouse. She feels Mauro’s impact beyond campus. 
“Matteo’s steadfast school spirit, leadership and commitment to his role as Mr. MSU shines through his endearing personality with inspiration pouring into the students he interacts with on a daily basis,” Mauro said. “I have only chatted with him here and there while on campus for events, but I can feel his spirit towards the university rub off on me. I am not even a student there!”
Rachel Adair is a co-worker of Mauro in New Maroon Camp, attested to his character.
“Matteo Mauro truly embodies the values and character of Mississippi State University. His persistence and dedication to academics and extracurriculars go above and beyond the average student, showing his passion for success and excellence. Matteo is a friend to all and stranger to none, and no one more deserving of the title and face of Mr. Mississippi State University,” Adair said.
Mauro said his new title of Mr. MSU has only given him more opportunities to get involved on campus.
“Just this morning, I was passing out chicken biscuits to students on their way to eight a.m. classes. The smiles I can put on students who have once been in my position as a lost and confused loner make it all worth it,” Mauro said. “However, with this role, I believe that there is room for improvement when it comes to the involvement on campus. Personally, I would love to become a spokesperson for the university. My dream would be to participate in or even lead student-led campaigns for the improvement of the university and our student body.”
Mauro said his new role on campus will contribute to his career goals.
“In the future, I would love to work professionally at a public relations firm or office space. With my major, I have discovered a genuine love for helping people within the public relations domain,” Mauro said. “Then, I would like to settle and, if possible, achieve a spot as a communications professor at Mississippi State University. Got to shoot for the stars!”

Lillian Odom
Lillian Odom, Contributing Writer
Lillian Odom is a junior English major. Lillian is currently a contributing writer for The Reflector.