24 students recognized with Spirit of State Awards

Tanner Marlow | The Reflector

A special recognition program allowed recipients to give acceptance speeches.

Mississippi State University presented 24 students with the Spirit of State Award at a recognition program Friday.
The Spirit of State Award recognizes students who have made strong impacts on the MSU campus and surrounding community.
Ann Olivia Radicioni, a previous recipient of the award, began the ceremony with a speech about how she believes this year’s recipients achieved the award.
“You are here because your love gives peace to those who are weary, attention to those that are forgotten, and it releases a weight off of the shoulders of the world. What better good could we do as Mississippi State students, what greater joy could there be than to know for this tiny moment we’ve lessened the burden and cleared the jagged path for someone else,” Radicioni said. “The paramount of who we are is how we love people. You all have loved well.”
During the ceremony, MSU President Mark Keenum said that the recipients personify the spirit of the entire student body.
“All that you have done here, we want you to continue to go out into the world and continue down this wonderful path of serving and helping others, making a difference in this world, that’s what we’re counting on,” Keenum said.
Keenum said that the purpose of the award is to recognize the recipients’ commitment to community service and their impact on the surrounding community.
“You made a difference on this campus, this university, and in this community. It is better you having been here, you being part of this university community, it is better because of you.”
Keenum said that the recipients represent what MSU hopes for every student.
“This is what we aspire for all of our students, to come here, get a great education, to learn about the importance of service and helping others, and improving upon things that are doing well and making them better,” Keenum said.
Regina Hyatt, Vice President of Student Affairs, said the “spirit of State” has always existed in the MSU community, and that the Spirit of State Award is the top student leadership award.
“You have been taking care of what matters here at State, and we know you will do the same at whatever the next thing is for you,” Hyatt said.
One recipient, Mia Robertson, a senior in political science and philosophy from Starkville, recognized the character of her fellow recipients.
“I obviously do not know everybody in this class of recipients, but for the ones I do know, and for the ones I do not know, they have had such a selfless commitment to public service from literally every pore,” Robertson said.
Robertson said that faculty mentors in the Shackouls Honors College were invaluable in achieving her goals.
Another recipient, Alex Gibbs, a biochemistry senior from Flowood, Mississippi, talked about his time as a Roadrunner and how potential students and families saw the spirit of State while on tours.
“But when they see, even though it’s a bigger school, we are still a family and we have a very welcoming atmosphere around campus, it means a lot to them, and I’ve had families remark on that for sure,” Gibbs said.
Gibbs said MSU has connected him with friends he will have for a lifetime.
“I can say without a doubt that I have several friends that will be my friends for the rest of my life. They will be at my wedding and will bury me one day. It’s been a very welcoming place to me and a place, I know, I can go back to for the rest of my life as a second home,” Gibbs said.
Keenum spoke more about the spirit of State after the ceremony.
“You can’t be transactional in life. You can’t say what’s in it for me. That’s what service is about. Making things better around you for others,” Keenum said.