Equine-assisted therapy program provides healing

Courtesy Photo

Sierra Nicholson is a participant in MSU’s Veteran Horsemanship Program. The program works with veterans to facilitate recovery.

The Mississippi State University Equine-Assisted Therapy Program will offer therapeutic horse riding for children with a variety of different disabilities, including autism, cerebral palsy and muscular dystrophy.
The therapeutic riding program is held at the Elizabeth A. Howard Arena within the Jimmy Brian 4-H Complex in West Point and takes place every Monday and Thursday. Sessions are held at 2:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.
Kate Yelverton, a senior majoring in human development and family science, has worked as a student intern for the program. She said program volunteers work in different capacities to assist and benefit riders.
“There is always one volunteer talking to the child on the horse, one beside the horse providing safety and support and another leading the horse through the activities,” Yelverton said. “For the children that have physical disabilities, riding helps to strengthen their muscles and work on posture. We also do a lot of activities where we tie in numbers and colors … that help with their motor skills.”
Yelverton said the program’s approach allows the volunteers to give as much attention as they can to the children during the session.
“I wish everyone could see how healing this program is,” Yelverton said.
Yelverton said the program has positively impacted her life. 
“It has helped me to get out of my comfort zone, work well with children and overall, it is just a really calming part of my week. It’s therapeutic for me as a volunteer as well because everyone has the same goals in mind when working with the children,” Yelverton said.
Cheyenne Lemire, a senior kinesiology major, said the therapy program positively impacts the children. 
“It is a place where the kids can come and just be themselves. We don’t look at them as disabled … they’re just kids,” she said. “The social interactions they get are another important thing as well.”
Along with the children, Lemire said the horses used for the program are benefitted.
“The horses love doing their job,” Lemire said. “You can really tell they are enjoying it just as much as the kids.”
Many of the horses in the therapeutic riding program are older, previously injured or cannot be used anymore for their previous jobs and enjoy having a new opportunity to work, Lemire said. 
Lori Irvin, a coordinator for the MSU Equine-Assisted Therapy Program and an extension associate, agreed this program served an important role for disabled children.
“For a lot of the children we serve, this is their only group activity, and it makes them feel really special. It’s good for them physically and emotionally,” Irvin said.
Irvin said she thought highly of the horses in the program. 
“I think God made horses to heal people,” Irvin said.
The program has been searching for volunteers interested in helping with their therapeutic riding services. According to Irvin, outgoing and horse-experienced individuals are sought after as potential volunteers.
“A person that really likes working with children and is outgoing is important for the kids … and volunteers get way more out of it than they give,” Irvin said.
Additionally, Irvin said the Veterans Horsemanship Program was another service offered. The program lets veterans to work with horses to facilitate recovery and transition to civilian life.
“The veterans gain confidence and friends,” Irvin said. “They also help prepare the horses for riding with the kids.”
All services the MSU Equine-Assisted Therapy Program offers are free to participants, and the program relies heavily on donations.
For more information on volunteering for the program, email Lori Irvin or call (662) 436-0799.