Math requirement at MSU could change in near future

Samuel Hughes | The Reflector

The Committee on Courses and Curricula has considered changing the math requirement.

At most universities, math classes are considered to be general education courses. These are classes that all students must take to earn a bachelor’s degree.
At Mississippi State University, the University Committee on Courses and Curricula (UCCC) supervises any changes made to the general education curriculum by reviewing and considering departmental proposals for course modifications.
The committee listens to and addresses student concerns regarding class requirements and changes made to existing classes.
Recently, the UCCC considered changing the existing general math requirement from six hours to three.
According to MSU’s General Education Requirements, students who place into a course higher than college algebra on the mathematics placement test can fulfill a six-hour requirement by taking a calculus course. 
For students who do not place higher than college algebra, they still have to get credit for six hours as well, but they typically start with College Algebra (MA 1313).
Dana Franz, a member of the University Committee on Courses and Curricula, stressed that this idea was still in the works.
“The goal is to be sure that the courses we ask freshmen and sophomores to take will give them a global perspective,” Franz said.
Jake Rice, a freshman majoring in electrical engineering, thought the change would not be beneficial to most students.
“Math is and always will be an essential part of daily life,” Rice said.
However, Rice said it could be a beneficial change for non-STEM majors.
“It could be beneficial, since lowering the required math credits for those who don’t need them as a part of their major would be able to get their required credits faster,” Rice said.  
As an electrical engineering major, Rice will have a schedule full of math-heavy courses over the next few years.
“Everyone currently on campus will be in the old rules. This would only impact future students,” Franz said.  
Jayne Opiela, a sophomore majoring in biomedical engineering, said she felt relieved for future non-engineering students.
“Future students might be happy about the reduction in required hours because it means they get to spend more time on classes that they enjoy as opposed to taking another general class,” Opiela said.
Opiela said she felt this change would not affect future engineering students since they are still required to take a lot of math classes outside of the general requirements, but for other majors this could be a much-needed break in classwork and stress.
However, she said math was still an important concept to understand.
To give suggestions or concerns for the Committee on Courses and Curricula, visit its office at 281 Garner Hall or contact Andy Perkins.
To submit with any suggestions, visit www.uccc.msstate.edu.

Rose Doyle
Rose Doyle, Staff Writer
Rose Doyle is a sophomore history major. Rose is currently a staff writer for The Reflector.