Being delusional may be motivator needed to reach goals

Joshua Britt

I will admit it, I can be delusional. I often set my expectations too high or feel I have dug a pit too deep to crawl out of, so I must talk myself into a confident state of mind. As the folks on TikTok say, the solution to this problem is being “delulu,” and despite the fact that this ideology may be unhealthy, I agree with it.

This phrase “delulu” originated on TikTok and has made its way into the lingo of Gen Z social media users across platforms. It is a comical way of saying “delusional” and began as a reference to having romantic feelings for someone who clearly does not reciprocate them.

According to an article from Therapytips from therapist Jourdan Travers, “delulu” is “about faking confidence so convincingly that you can turn your aspirations into reality, even when the odds seem stacked against you.”

Call it what you will – delusion, manifestation, confidence – but I call it hope. Working towards my graduation this spring, my semester has felt extra full of classes, capstone projects, student involvement, internships and job applications. In this time of feeling like my head is just above water, I decided a kitchen makeover would fix everything, starting with a handmade blue and white spoon rest.

This spoon rest will not finish my research papers for me, nor will it lead a tour across campus for geriatrics. However, obtaining the spoon rest gave me a sense of control in this chaos. Things feel more manageable because of it.  Perhaps I have put too much pressure on this little piece of pottery, but I believe it is simply a means for me to believe things will get better.

Now I have the motivation to seek out new things to match my spoon rest. Not only does my mind have something to think about aside from the stress, but I have renewed interest in accomplishing my tasks.

Self-confidence is the key to this kind of hope. According to coach and philosopher Carlos Garcia from El Pais, “it has been proven that our body functions better with thoughts that anticipate success.”

Renewing self-confidence can be difficult in times of stress, and seeking hope to overcome it can be even more difficult. I believe that adopting a mentality that is rooted outside of reality can help bridge these gaps and encourage us to take concrete action.

Fixating on fictional ideals and large goals can be unhealthy. If you start to mix fiction with reality, then the issues begin to arise. However, I do not think that anyone should be ashamed of imagining a better life and making strides towards it.

Just like how negative self-talk can negatively influence our perception of situations, Theratips goes on to say that “positive thinking is not just hollow wishfulness. It’s a compass that guides us toward our goals.”

Give yourself a little treat. Find a lofty goal that may be impossible. Whatever way you want to motivate yourself, indulge in a little delusion and allow yourself to hope in your future.

Elisa Stocking
Elisa Stocking, Staff Writer
Elisa Stocking is a senior communication major. Elisa is currently a staff writer for The Reflector.