Hot Take: Bridgit Mendler deserves more recognition

Baker Hall

Bridgit Mendler is quite possibly Disney Channel’s greatest idol. As an actress, singer-songwriter, wife, mother, CEO, doctorate and Juris Doctor degree holder, it does not get more impressive than this.

Like many people my age, I grew up obsessed with Disney Channel, teaching myself how to trace the Mickey Mouse logo with an imaginary light-up wand and planning my answers to red carpet interviews. Eventually, I realized that my big break was not coming anytime soon, especially considering I spent all of my time inside my house or on a farm in Kentucky.

Instead, I became enamored with the one and only Bridgit Mendler. I watched “Good Luck, Charlie,” but it was never my favorite show. Still, I liked her character Teddy and felt like I could relate to her a lot, partially because she was blonde and so was I, but she was also nice and sort of awkward and nerdy.

I loved her character Juliet from “Wizards of Waverly Place,” and her character Olivia in “Lemonade Mouth.” Then she started making music. “Hurricane” and “Ready or Not” are not only fun listens, but should be considered mandatory listens.

Somewhere along the line, I stopped paying attention to Mendler — until now. Countless articles and tweets online detail what Mendler has been up to over the past few years, and if someone is a not fan of hers after hearing it all, then there is truly no hope for them.

Bridgit Mendler received her bachelor’s degree from the University of Southern California in 2016 before going to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where she graduated with her master’s degree in 2018.

According to the TCPalm, a Florida-based newspaper, within the last year, Mendler has not only earned a Ph.D. from MIT, but she has also earned a Juris Doctor degree from Harvard Law.

Mendler was married in 2019 and had her “Lemonade Mouth” costar, Naomi Scott, as a bridesmaid. Even better, during the month of February, Mendler made two announcements via X. Firstly, that she had created a startup company called Northwood Space that would focus on constructing ground stations to communicate with satellites, and secondly, she had been fostering a little boy in 2021 and had officially adopted him in 2022, making her the mother of a four-year-old boy.

I try to avoid idolizing celebrities too much, as putting people on pedestals usually only leads to sadness. It is hard not to love her. If any children, especially little girls, need a celebrity role model in their lives, look no further than Dr. Bridgit Mendler. She deserves all of her flowers and more for her accomplishments.

Haylee Morman
Haylee Morman, Staff Writer
Haylee Morman is a senior English major. Haylee is currently a staff writer for The Reflector.