Gordon: 66th Annual Grammy Awards predictions go to the girls

Joshua Britt

The 66th Annual Grammy Awards are near, and it is all I have been thinking about well before the nominations were announced in November. Many well-known stars, as well as some of my personal favorites, are up for the most honorable awards in music.

I have my predictions on who will win some of the general categories. Though, my predictions differ from who I believe truly should win the honors.

Song of the Year is the trickiest category this year. My love for SZA’s “Kill Bill” and Taylor Swift’s “Anti-Hero” are my picks to win just because they are catchy and relatable, but I know that is not the criteria the Academy looks at when handing out this honor.

The winner boils down to the dark horse of the category, “What Was I Made For?” Billie Eilish and her brother FINNEAS crafted a raw, impassioned ballad for the “Barbie” movie soundtrack. The song perfectly suits the movie’s obstacles while also addressing the existential questions that real people face.

Record of the Year awards the artist along with the producer, mixer and recording engineer as well as any other contributors of a specific track.

One of my current favorite songs is nominated for Record of the Year. “Not Strong Enough” by boygenius is a beautiful, heartbreaking anthem with an amazing overall sound that has my parents questioning if they need to pay for therapy. However, my mental state is not going to win boygenius the award, despite my hopes.

“Vampire” by Olivia Rodrigo will take the Grammy for Record of the Year. Rodrigo’s team, involving Producer of the Year nominee Daniel Nigro, created an entire emotional journey within the three minutes and 39 seconds of the song, making it stand out against the rest of the nominees.

Best New Artist goes to the individual or group that rose in fame within the past year. These artists span a variety of genres. Jelly Roll’s country ballads, The War and Treaty’s raspy soul and Gracie Abrams’ singer-songwriter hits are just a few mentions validating why these artists gained their nominations.

While I have a special place in my heart for Best New Artist nominee Noah Kahan, after wrecking my car while listening to his soul-destroying folk-pop music, I believe the award will go to rapper Ice Spice. She took the world by storm the past couple of years with trending music, a collaboration with Taylor Swift and a song with Nicki Minaj on the soundtrack of “Barbie.” Her work as a woman in her genre has not gone unnoticed.

Every single album that is nominated for Album of the Year deserves it. Each deserves the win as well, but that cannot be done.

After a full year of touring, announcing rereleases and cheering on the Kansas City Chiefs, Taylor Swift scored a nomination for her October 2022 album “Midnights.”

The album was released a month after the eligibility deadline for the 65th Grammy’s, making it a contender this year. Every track on “Midnights” is a hit, and each song was crafted to reference moments in Swift’s life as a star. Every single little detail poured into her album will be what wins “Midnights” Album of the Year.

Winners for these categories and more will be announced the night of the Grammy’s, airing Feb. 4 on CBS and Paramount+.

Megan Gordon
Megan Gordon, Former Life & Entertainment Editor
Megan Gordon served as the Life & Entertainment Editor from 2023 to 2024.