Hospital hosts blood drive today

The United Blood Services hosts a blood drive in the parking lot of the Oktibbeha County Hospital today from 11:30 a.m. until 5:30 pm.
    “The blood supply has been very short recently. The hospital appreciates any help the public can give,” said hospital lab director Tom Sheward.
    For most people 17 and older who weigh more than 110 pounds, giving blood is safe and easy. Materials used during the donation process are sterile and used only once.
    Because the hospital cannot receive blood directly from the public, it uses United Blood Service to schedule blood drives. United Blood Services is an organization that specializes in getting blood from donors for hospitals.
    “UBS organizes blood drives, collects and tests the blood for us,” Sheward said.
    Jane Scruggs, a tele-recruiter for UBS, said the organization needs O+ and O- blood the most.
    “Our closest office to Starkville is in Meridian, but we usually know at least a week in advance where drives will be held,” Scruggs said. “Anyone who would like to donate can just call us.”
    Scruggs said that Mississippi blood banks are in need of donations.
    “The blood supply has been critical for a long time,” Scruggs said. “It does not look like it is going to get much better, but I hope it does.”
    Donated blood can serve more than one person’s needs because it is divided into parts. The red blood cells are used for patients with anemia, while platelets are used for those who suffer from cancer. Plasmas aid those who have blood clotting disorders, and the Cryoprecipitate is used for hemophilia patients.
    Debra Meziere, the mother of junior architecture student Justin Zahner, received five units of blood in the summer of 2002.
    “She had two ulcers in her stomach, and she did not know about them,” Zahner said. “She had been feeling bad for a few months because her body was five pints low on blood.”
    Mexiere’s blood pressure was very low and doctors told her that her condition was critical, Zahner said.
    “If they did not have the blood, she probably would have died,” Zahner said. “We were really thankful that she was able to receive it.”
    Students who are unable to give at the drive today, can contact the UBS for information on upcoming blood drives at 1-800-880-2482.