Bickering over Pickering

Charlie Swanson’s article about the Democrats’ “shameful politics” in regards to the appointment of Charles Pickering to the 5th Circuit Court is convincing, but only by polishing some facts while ignoring others.
    Whereas the article describes Pickering’s actions in the Michael Swan cross burning case as compassionate, other sources (like the Web site spinsanity.org) paint a picture of Pickering “inappropriately [pressuring] the Justice Department to seek a lighter sentence against a man convicted of burning a cross.”
    The article summarizes a few of Pickering’s more glorifying moves on the issue of civil rights, while ignoring the fact that as a law school student, Pickering published an article to the Mississippi Law Journal describing how a law banning interracial marriage could be strengthened against challenges of constitutionality.
    Nor does the article call into question Pickering’s questionable record on voting rights issues.
    Or his support for the Mississippi Sovereignty Commission-an organization formed to resist desegregation through questionable means.
    Perhaps Congress is concerned that Pickering will not be able to apply law properly as a circuit court judge-an opinion supported by Pickering’s judicial record of 15 overturned decisions.
    Maybe some members of Congress feel that Pickering’s past acts (like gerrymandering voting districts in an attempt to keep black politicians out of power) display a pattern of action that is not desirable for a Circuit Court judge.
    Whatever the reason, it is certain that these members of Congress have reviewed the facts from both sides, and I feel that it is important for The Reflector to do so as well.
    Drew Boyles is a graduate student in information science.