Fields trims down, speeds up

Ronald Fields dropped 22 lbs. in the same amount of days this summer, but his 6-foot-22-inch, 308-pound frame still daunts opposing offensive linemen.
    “Ron came back in July at about 330 pounds. On reporting day he was 308 pounds,” Croom said. “That’s a lot of work for a big man to get that
    weight off in that short of time, but he worked extremely hard and got that taken care of.”
    Fields is lightning fast off the line of scrimmage. Most who watch him for the first time actually think he jumps off sides, but he’s just quicker than any one of his counterparts.
    “I’ve said it from day one, Ron Fields has as much ability as any linemen we had on the defensive line at Green Bay,” Croom said. “If he plays up to his ability I think he can be one of the best defensive linemen in the country.”
    Fields says that Croom told him he had to lose the weight and he pushed himself to do it.
    “I just ate healthy and ate the right things. (Coach Croom) told me I had to, I just pushed myself,” Fields said. “It helps me play faster. Now I can play the whole fourth quarter.”
    Fields had his best year yet last year. He racked up 52 tackles, including five behind the line of scrimmage.
    Despite his increased output, the Bulldog defense finished the 2003 season 113th out of 117 Division 1-A teams. That squad gave up 473.5 yards per game.
    With new defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson at the reigns and seven returning starters, the Bulldogs hope to tighten up the defensive pressure.
    “I think the overall strength of our defense depends on our front play,” Johnson said. “And I think the majority of our front effectiveness depends on (Fields). I hate to put that much into one individual, but I think he’s got that much ability.”
    Fields has demonstrated consistency. The Bogalusa, La., native has played in every single game in his career at Mississippi State. He’s started 25 of those 35 games and totaled 115 tackles.
    Fields described himself as “very passionate and relentless.” “I try to keep my teammates into it–teach them to forget about the bad plays and move onto the next play. That’s the most important thing is the next play.”
    Fields has seen a lot in his career at Mississippi State. He remembers the Egg Bowl his freshman year when MSU beat a favored Rebel squad 36-28 to get its third win of the season. He also remembers last year’s Egg Bowl where the Bulldogs got whipped 31-0 on a cold, rainy Thanksgiving night.
    “I think we have had enough talent at Mississippi State to do great things the past three years, but we just haven’t put it all together,” Fields said at SEC media days. “Everyone seemed to be out there playing as individuals instead of playing as a team. The guys on our team right now seem to be ready to go out and keep that from happening again.”