Staff guesses 2004 MTV Video Music Award outcome

It’s time for the biggest music event for prepubescent teens ever. The 2004 MTV Video Music Awards have arrived, and these awards are not your granny’s Grammys. Always full of stunts and at least one scandalous moment, this year’s awards shouldn’t disappoint with its lineup. Who’s going to win? No one knows, but the Reflector staff is going to give its best guesses.
    Video of the Year Nominees
    D-12 “My Band”
    Jay-Z “99 Problems”
    OutKast “Hey Ya”
    Britney Spears “Toxic”
    Usher featuring Lil Jon & Ludacris “Yeah”
    Dustin: D-12 and Jay-Z should not be up here. Where’s Kanye West’s “All Falls Down”? “Toxic” isn’t the worst video ever, but my money’s on OutKast or Usher. Both of these videos have the main ingredient. Fun. I’d love to see the ever-changing Outkast win for their throwback to the ’60s in “Hey Ya.”
    My guess: Being the golden boy du jour, Usher wins the most prestigious of the night’s awards.
    Page: I definitely hate “Toxic.” I’m torn between OutKast and Usher because both videos are such a great reflection of the talent that each artist is known for.
    My guess: OutKast grabs audiences’ attentions and award for “Hey Ya.”
    Ben: I think “Yeah” and “Hey Ya” got more attention on the airwaves, but Jay Z’s “99 Problems” exhibits a more gritty way of shooting music videos, including a controversial ending that some didn’t see coming.
    My guess: Because Usher’s “Yeah” was the biggest song of the year, it will win this year.
    Elizabeth: Although Andre 3000’s portrayal of multiple roles is definitely entertaining, nothing beats Usher’s dance moves.
    My guess: This is Usher’s year. “Yeah.”
    Best Male Video Nominees
    Jay-Z “99 Problems”
    Prince “Musicology”
    Justin Timberlake “Senorita”
    Kanye West featuring Syleena Johnson “All Falls Down”
    Elizabeth: All of the videos and musicians are amazingly talented. But this is the MTV VMAs, so it’s usually about what was the most popular..
    My guess: It’s gonna go to Usher.
    Dustin: Timberlake’s “Senorita” was a hit. Emphasis on ‘was.’ Will the MTV voters remember? I was pleasantly surprised with the addition of Prince in this category, but his song wasn’t really out there. Looks like a Kanye v. Usher face off.
    My guess: With his dance moves and “Aww shucks” smile, Usher’s got this one on lock.
    Ben: My pick would be Kanye West’s “All Falls Down” because of the unique style of filming the video, but again Usher’s huge hit will probably win this one, too.
    My guess: Usher gets another.
    Best Female Video Nominees
    Christina Aguilera “The Voice Within”
    Beyonce “Naughty Girl”
    Alicia Keys “If I Ain’t Got You”
    Jessica Simpson “With You”
    Britney Spears “Toxic”
    Ben: I think it’s going to be between Beyonce and Britney. Beyonce has Usher in the video, and Britney actually did a concept video in this one with special effects and sans dancing.
    My guess: Britney probably, because it was her biggest song of the year.
    Page: I don’t like that song (Alicia Keys’ “If I Ain’t Got You), that song (“With You” by Jessica Simpson) or that one (Britney’s “Toxic” again), so it’s gonna be Beyonce.
    My guess: I like to see Usher dance in her video, so it’s Beyonce all the way.
    Dustin: Everything Beyonce touches turns to platinum, and Britney’s dance anthem made more than one person shake it on the floor. I’d hate to see Jessica or Alicia win this one, since “With You” only annoyed and “Ain’t Got You” featured a lame plot with more shrill vocals than a Charlotte Church concert.
    My guess: Beyonce’s naughty champagne glass dance should be all it takes to land this one.
    Best Group Video Nominees
    D-12 “My Band”
    Good Charlotte “Hold On”
    Hoobastank “The Reason”
    Maroon 5 “This Love”
    No Doubt “It’s My Life”
    Dustin: I think D-12’s nomination came solely out of the aspect that Eminem is involved. The song is not that great, certainly not compared to No Doubt’s much improved cover of “It’s My Life” and Maroon 5’s infectious beat. Hoobastank scored some points with its mainstream hit, “The Reason,” but not enough points to get that award.
    My guess: I hate to say it, but D-12 could get this one. Unlike the rest of the world, MTV still loves Eminem.
    Page: I kinda want to see No Doubt win this one. Maroon 5 has been receiving a lot of attention lately, but I want “It’s My Life” to take the cake because I enjoy the video’s structured plot and it’s lack of repetition.
    My guess: No Doubt about it. “It’s My Life.”
    Ben: I’m partial to No Doubt and the video’s 1950s style. The story line of crime and punishment was entertaining. But D-12 will probably win because of Eminem and the video’s humor.
    My guess: “My Band” wins this one.
    Elizabeth: Maroon 5 presented a catchy tune and a simple video, and I love No Doubt’s cover of “It’s My Life.” The video is awesome, too, but unfortunately they are up against Eminem.
    My guess: D-12 will win with MTV’s favorite bad boy group.
    Best New Artist Nominees
    The Darkness “I Believe in a Thing Called Love”
    Jet “Are You Gonna Be My Girl?”
    JoJo “Leave (Get Out)”
    Maroon 5 “This Love”
    Yellowcard “Ocean Avenue”
    Page: I love how The Darkness isn’t scared of bringing back the ugliness of ’80s rock. I don’t care for JoJo. What is she, like 12? No one deserves recognition for the amount of work she’s done. Basically, she hasn’t worked for it.
    My guess: Maroon 5 has the best chance because of their attempt to invent their own style.
    Elizabeth: When I first saw The Darkness’s “I Believe in a Thing Called Love” video I couldn’t figure out if it was a joke or what. I think most people are over the initial shock, though. Both Maroon 5 and Yellowcard have simple videos and addictive songs. I think it’s going to be a toss up between the two.
    My guess: It will probably go to Maroon 5, because they have been mainstream longer.
    Ben: This race is between Maroon 5 and Kanye West. Maroon’s new funk-rock style has been a success, especially with their hit “This Love.” Kanye’s new style and unique production make him stand out above the rest of this group.
    My guess: Kanye West’s “All Falls Down” will pick up a moon man.