Dear Mississippi State students,

I can’t explain to you how proud I am to be serving the best student body in America. It’s a privilege that I take very seriously. I’m so excited that the fall semester is here. This is going to be an amazing year.
    Wednesday night many of you gathered at The Drill in an expression of pride and unity among MSU students. This was a very special event because it was not planned or sponsored by any single organization.
    Over 20 of the largest and most diverse campus entities cooperated to make it happen. Very few campuses of our size can make that claim. Very few campuses are as special as this one.
    Another important aspect of The Drill is that the concept for the event originated with students who weren’t involved with the Student Association in any way. They simply came to our office and asked for help.
    We want to continue this trend. We are here for you, and although there are limits to the things we can do, we take student concerns very seriously. This is not my Student Association. This is your Student Association.
    I am fortunate to be surrounded by an absolutely amazing group of Executive Officers and Cabinet members. We will not sleep until we feel that we have made a significant positive difference on this campus in a way that each of you can feel.
    If you would like to be more directly involved with the Student Association this year, come by our office, which is tucked under Perry Cafeteria, right next to the State Fountain Bakery.
    Freshmen Forum applications, Committee applications and Senate forms of intent are all currently available. We strongly encourage new students with leadership experience to apply to be a part of Freshmen Forum, a group of talented students who spend their first year getting an up-close and interactive look at the Student Association.
    If you just want to work to make some specific aspect of your university better, apply to be a member of one of our 24 committees. They perform a variety of tasks including planning Homecoming, holding political forums, supporting athletic events, community service, advertising and much more.
    The other way to get involved is by filling out a Senate form of intent. By doing so, you will be eligible to run for Student Association Senate and give a voice to your place of residence or the college of your major.
    Freshmen Forum and Committee applications are due Aug. 26. Senate forms of intent are due Sept. 2.
    On Friday, Sept. 10, the Student Association will bring you Bulldog Bash, Mississippi’s largest free outdoor event and something for you to be very proud of. This year’s edition will be bigger, better and more diverse than ever. Be looking for an announcement of the music lineup within the next two weeks.
    Whether you are a new student or a returning student, I ask that you use the first few weeks of classes to reflect on how lucky you are to be a Mississippi State University student. Buy your season football tickets. Dust off your cowbell. Get fired up for an incredible year.
    Thank you for all you do to make Mississippi State what it is. Thank you for being Bulldogs.
    Adam Telle is the Student Assosiation president. He can be reached at [email protected].