Playhouse plans next event

It’s not every day that we get the chance of a lifetime. However, that chance may be coming this weekend for those interested in drama. On Sept. 12 and 13 the Starkville Community Theatre will be holding auditions for Tennesse Williams’ “The Glass Menagerie.”
    The theater, which operates on a voluntary standpoint, puts on an average of four plays a year. Shows range from straight dramas to farcical comedies.
    The play, which is the study of a family’s relationship with each other, is the opportunity for anyone interested in drama and theater in general, to show what they have got with regards to acting talent.
    The show’s director, Bob Anderson, is a 40-year veteran of directing plays. He has been a part of the Starkville Community Theatre since it began and even directed its first play in 1978.
    “The show is a challenge, sure,” says Anderson. “I did ‘Proof’ last year, so I am accustomed to drama, but this is a classic. It’s about time we did it.”
    Anderson has participated in theater on campus before and he also has a history in broadcast.
    “I have had the privilege of working with students and faculty on campus,” Anderson said. “I hope people on campus feel encouraged to audition for the show. I think it would be great for them.”
    The theater is also bringing in Professor Clyde Williams, a retired English professor with knowledge of Williams’ plays, to help the perfomers better understand the play.
    Anne Bonner, a volunteer in the theater, is excited about the upcoming production.
    A resident of Starkville since 1966, Bonner taught 12th grade English at Starkville High School. She also taught communication and drama until she retired in 1995.
    She quickly found her love for the stage to be too much to resist and became involved in the community theater after her retirement.
    “It is not entirely accurate to say I am involved in every single play,” Bonner quickly points out. ” At this point in time, I am serving as the president of the community theater.”
    Bonner also feels that the Columbus-born Williams is, in a sense, coming home with one of his plays being performed in Starkville.
    “Tennessee Williams is one of the 20th century’s best playwrights,” Bonner notes. “That’s not my opinion, but the opinion of drama critics.”
    The more modern-day tone, as well as the Southern theme of the play, helped make this an opportunity the theatre board could not pass up.
    Bonner also points out that the secret to the Starkville Community Theatre’s success is the fact that anyone and everyone can get involved in the process.” The voluntary work coupled with the love of drama has enabled all involved in the theater to enjoy the atmosphere that comes with live performances,” Bonner notes. “The people who work here are very dedicated and do great work, and no one can say they do it for profit. This is all done for the love of the craft.”
    The theater is hoping to keep its track record of well-received shows, and it is openly inviting anyone, Starkville-born or not, to the auditions.
    “We want to see as many trying out as possible,” Anderson said.
    Auditions will be held in the Starkville Community Theatre in downtown Starkville Sunday and Monday at 7 p.m.
    For additional information, contact Krista Vowell at (662) 325-3910 (office) and (662)325-8037 (fax).