Weapons ban expires; locals express little concern

Local residents and gun shop owners say they have not been affected by the semiautomatic assault weapon ban or the lift that went into effect Sept. 13.
    According to the U.S. Department of Justice, the semiautomatic assault weapon ban was pushed through Congress by U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein, (D-Calif.) and signed by President Bill Clinton Sept. 13, 1994, and would expire 10 years from that date. Therefore, as of Sept. 13, 2004, at 12:01 a.m., the provisions of the law, which included making it unlawful to manufacture, transfer or possess SAWs, ceased to apply.
    Local authorities and some residents of Oktibbeha County say they feel that lifting the ban will not affect local gun shop owners or the rate of crime in the surrounding areas.
    “We didn’t see any crime go up or down when the law was first enacted. Criminals are getting guns and weapons from anywhere,” said George Carrithers, chief deputy sheriff of Oktibbeha County.
    The lift only affects what citizens can buy legally, Carrithers added.
    “I haven’t seen any change since the ban has been lifted,” said Lee Carlisle, owner of Army Navy Pawn Shop in Starkville. “My business has not been affected by it. It’s really too early to tell right now.”
    Ed Sanders, gunsmith and owner of Lake Valley Gun Works, said he receives many inquiries from customers regarding assault weapons and informs them immediately that his shop does not carry such weapons.
    “People are confused on what an assault weapon is,” Sanders said. “I don’t sell machine guns. I sell guns used for hunting and domestic purposes only.”
    Representatives from True Love’s Pawn Shop and Trading Post in Starkville said they had no comments regarding the lift.
    Students also expressed little concern about the lift.
    “Banning SAWs isn’t going to really help slow down the rate of crime because criminals have access to other forms of weapons to commit a crime,” said Tenisha Wess, a junior in elementary education.
    Expiration of the federal law will not change any provisions of state law or local ordinances. Questions concerning state assault weapons restrictions should be referred to state and local authorities.