MSU student takes one-man act to Bistro

Saturday night at 10:00 p.m., MSU student and local artist Justin Dallriva will perform at the International Bistro and State Theatre. Dallriva, a Dave’s Darkhorse Tavern employee, is a favorite among the Starkville music scene.
    Dallriva, who jams with local guitarist Kent Poss, plays many local venues around Starkville, including the Bistro, Lucky’s Lounge, Dave’s Darkhorse Tavern and Polliwog’s.
    “I’ve played in many bands,” Justin Dallriva said. “I’ve played all over town and in Columbus and Jackson.”
    Dallriva sports the acoustic guitar and performs many covers plus original songs.
    “I play a wide variety of music, about half and half originals and covers,” Dallriva said. “I’d say my style is more the older, folkier style and acoustic singer/songwriter music like Neil Young. It’s a really eclectic blend of my main musical influences like Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Nick Drake and the more modern influences like Jeff Tweedy, Will Oldham, Eric Clapton, The Cure and The Flaming Lips. I’d say it’s more like an indie-rock sound.”
    “He plays a wide variety of music like the Beatles,” International Bistro promotions manager Dax Turner said. “I’ve heard him play around the Tavern and the Bistro and he does very good as a one-man act.”
    Dylan Rufe, manager of the International Bistro, said Dallriva always brings a good crowd and never disappoints in terms of entertaining his audience.
    “He brings a good atmosphere to wherever he plays,” Rufe said. “He always keeps the crowd’s attention. He’s definitely an employee favorite around [the Bistro] and Dave’s.”
    “Justin’s a solid one-man act; he plays very well,” Turner said. “He’s not a slouch by any means. He’s a well-balanced musician.”
    The Bistro expects this Saturday’s concert to be as much a success as Dallriva’s past shows. Dallriva has amassed a regular crowd that follows him wherever he goes. Fans of Dallriva’s music know that Dallriva will not disappoint with his unique musicianship and diverse variety of songs and styles.
    “He normally brings a good crowd,” Rufe said. “We’re hoping they come back this Saturday to watch him perform.”
    “I’ve definitely found familiar faces everywhere I play,” Dallriva said. “I always see the same people come out who enjoy what I do.”