After two weeks on road, Dawgs want to tame Memphis

The Lady Bulldogs return home tonight to take on Memphis after a winless four game road trip in which the Bulldogs were outscored 11-4.
    The Lady Tigers roll into town with a 5-1 overall record and currently sit in second place in Conference USA.
    “I think that we need to be motivated,” head coach Neil MacDonald said.” I think we are going to be tired because we played two incredibly tough games this weekend, but I think we need to make sure we don’t go out flat against Memphis.”
    Along with their excellent record, the Lady Tigers bring with them a powerful offensive attack.
    Returning at forward to anchor the Memphis offense is Conference USA’s 2003 leading goal scorer Yuiko Konno. She scored 12 goals and recorded 27 points in her junior season just a year ago.
    Joining Konno up top will be sophomore transfer Shoko Mikami. Mikami led the nation in scoring in Division II last year, racking up 33 goals. She also led the country in goals per game (1.65) and points per game (3.80).
    “We’ve been working a lot in practice on our finishing and I think scoring on North Carolina shows us that we can finish,” forward Betty Ann Casey said. “If we keep executing like we know how to, we will put the ball into the back of the net.”
    In order for the Bulldogs to slow down Memphis’s explosive attack, MSU must improve a defense that has already allowed 13 total goals.
    It wasn’t until October 12 of last year when the Bulldogs surrendered their 13th goal. State has also given up four goals in their last two games, a feat they accomplished only once last season.
    “The defense is still on track; you have to remember we just played Southern Cal and North Carolina,” MacDonald said. “When you play against national level players you are going to lose goals.
    “I don’t think there is an issue with the back four at all. I think they are doing their job. I think probably the issue is with our transition in the midfield,” he added.