Refuge opens new visitor center

The Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge celebrated the grand opening of its new visitor center Saturday with a ribbon-cutting, exhibits, demonstrations and activities for children.
    More than 200 people showed up for the event, said Brian Wehrle, the assistant manager of the refuge.
    Wren Ruth, who lives in the refuge area, came with her daughter Julie and grandsons Micky and Christopher to the opening. “I’m glad they have something for the kids now,” Ruth said. She added that the boys had enjoyed the activities, especially using a fire hose at the Wildland Firefighters demonstration.
    Outdoor events included flint knapping, or the art of making stone tools; pottery demonstrations; nature walks; canoeing on Bluff Lake; and guided bird watching.
    Children had their faces painted, colored kites, and practiced tying knots. In addition, visitors interacted with a 4-year-old alligator brought by John DeFillipo of the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science.
    The visitor center is important because it gives the public somewhere to go on the weekends when they visit, Andrea Dunstan, public use specialist at the refuge, said.
    The new building also includes additional office space, a nature store, an auditorium, and an exhibit hall featuring displays with information about forest management and the refuge’s wildlife. Behind the visitor center is a deck overlooking Bluff Lake.
    Other attractions at the refuge include seven walking trails, three overlooks, two large lakes and a number of smaller lakes, Dunstan said.
    The refuge has been used as an outdoor classroom for Mississippi State University students for years, refuge manager Henry R. Sansing said.
    Students can also use the refuge for recreational purposes, including fishing, hunting, bird watching, hiking on nature trails, painting, photography, picnicking, and canoeing, Sansing said. The refuge includes 48,000 acres of land and more than 60 miles of roads. It is adjacent to Tombigbee National Forest.
    The easiest way to get to the refuge from campus is to go down Blackjack Road to Oktoc and follow it into the refuge, Sansing said.
    Sansing encouraged students to come to the Noxubee Refuge. “It’s your refuge,” he said. “Come and enjoy it. But do me one favor: Treat it like it’s yours.”
    For more information, students can call the refuge office at 323-5548.