Don’t be fair-weather fans

This weekend MSU had a great win against a very good Florida team. The only sad part about the game was the attendance. The game was the second lowest home attendance all year, with only 43,170 people there. Many people had given up on the Dawgs and weren’t going to attend any more games. The Maine game had more people in attendance than Saturday’s win. And the worst part is about half the students didn’t show up until friends called and said that State was winning.
    Granted, this is not State’s best football campaign, but that is no reason to give up on the Dawgs. I grew up watching State win in the SEC West from 1997-2000, and it was amazing. I got to see lots of awesome wins over top ranked teams. Nothing has hurt more than these last three years. Even though State has had a downside, there is no reason to be discouraged. What does it tell the players when everyone writes them off as losers, and goes home for the weekend?
    They need our support to get back to the level of excellence they once had. No one needs fair weather fans.
    Dawgs: Way to go beating Florida; let’s go show the Wildcats who’s boss on Saturday.
    Fans there on Saturday: Great job cheering on the Dawgs. Let’s go cheer for the Dawgs as they get two in a row.
    Fans not there on Saturday: I bet you wish you were here, don’t you. Come on Saturday only if you feel like it; the Dawgs proved they don’t need you anyway, haven’t they?
    Hopefully this will light a fire under the fair-weather fans, and they will actually come and cheer for their team. I know I will be there, cowbell in hand.
    Paul Whitmire is a freshman in pre-accounting.