Starkville’s best bands: Part 2 of a 4-part series

Tonight Roxie’s Square Table Spoon will host a three-band rock ‘n’ roll extravaganza. The talented trio Young Agent Jones will headline the party outside in their black suits, though they might discard their jackets and ties after a few songs. Their boundless punk-like energy often results in boundless heat and sweat. Their sounds, however, are adopted from the styles of The Pixies, Weazer and The Jam. These sounds resonate softly, but happily rapid, not entirely a punk attribute. And these guys are way too fun to deliver anger.
    Before he left Roxie’s last night to play solo at The Bistro, Agent Jason Jones talked of his musical purpose. “We try to write songs that people love, but don’t know they love yet,” he said. In a fitted black shirt, tailored slacks, and white Italian shoes, the lead guitar and vocalist seemed like an intriguing contradiction. At every show, whether it’s hosting Open Mic Night at Dave’s Darkhorse Tavern, or playing shows as far as Baltimore, this platinum blonde headed musician appears sophisticated. But his love for rock ‘n’ roll and the happiness it brings him is obvious to his audience, exhibiting an incredibly playful side. The agent persona portrays this side as well.
    Smiling coyly, he said, “We wanted to be seen as mysterious-men-in-black or a group of governmental super beings.”
    Picking up a guitar when he was only five, Jason has been playing for 24 years.
    “The guitar is the symbol for rock ‘n’ roll worldwide,” he said. When asked why he adopted rock ‘n’ roll over other styles, he answered “What else is there?”
    Agent Mike Yeager has been beating the same drum set from fifth grade. After 20 years, he fully restored it. Mike just bought a house in Starkville, so all you fresh fans, don’t worry about the band leaving soon. He says he’s very comfortable here, adding, “You can live anywhere and tour the world.” Gradually building a home recording studio, Mike mostly enjoys molding other people’s songs into something profoundly different, explaining, “It’s a different angle of looking at someone’s art, but it’s still their work. It’s a real creative outlet for me,” he said.
    When Agent Ben Hodge was 15, his best friend got a guitar for Christmas and wanted to start a band. The pink-and-brown-haired bassist was bartending at Roxie’s, answering questions between orders. A customer asked him why he had a heat patch on the top of his hand, and he answered, “Too much rock ‘n’ roll.” His aching hands play only a small role in his dedication to music. Hanging out, he’s calm natured, but at live shows, he leaps and dances the most. Though his musical tastes are broad he mostly enjoys The Hives, Weazer and The Pixies, and it shows through his sound and his energy. His explanation was simply put: “We tend to make people happy. Some dance, some drink, but everyone has a good time.”
    Their most recent of two albums reflects this fun-loving attitude as well. Women Who Love Men Who Kill, recorded in 2001, is a 15-song project, written mostly by Jason. And it’s easy to be gratified listening to lighthearted and motivational lyrics from songs like, “Oh, Yeah.” A song about changing your perspective, habits and life, “Oh, Yeah,” speaks to the confused, saying, “Sure there’s a lot of love lost between you and who you used to be, but you can’t think long about it, cause you both think differently.” If you think that’s genius, listen to “El Ventriloquistador,” Spanish for the ventriloquist. The ultimate breakup ballad features Jason picking a Spanish guitar and singing, “If fantasies where heifers, I’d be a gun-slinging cowboy with purpose and rustle up a daydream for starters.” But he also generalizes the whole breakup experience and relating it to the way most people cope with, “I can’t throw away your toothbrush.”
    The last song, “Clever Ad Campaign” seems to make satire of society as consumers, with verses like, “Buy the air. We’ve got air, wholesale.” This delightful album is sold at Be-bop Records on Miss. Highway 12.
    In the middle of their many accomplishments, they have another feat. Their first album, Discretion is Our Profession, was placed No. 132 for the College Music Journal National Top 200.
    You can still hear the acclaimed songs at most of their live shows, but tonight they will also play some from their new album that will be released in December.
    It won’t hurt to come with high expectations. If you attend their outdoor concert expecting what Jason hopes will be, “boundless and beautiful,” you certainly won’t be disappointed. Indeed, their musical mystery, intelligence, comedy, energy and skill are boundless and beautiful.