Lady netters take titles in Tuscaloosa at Wilson Regional

The MSU Lady Bulldog netters have once again dominated a tournament in Tuscaloosa, Ala., and placed four in championship matches at the Wilson/ITA South Regional. Three Lady Dawgs claimed titles.
    This time the lady netters decided to up the ante, by not only placing players in singles championship matches but also placing players in doubles championship matches as well.
    In doubles, the lady duo of Renee Joseph and Anastasia Kugakolova competed for the Draw B doubles championship. The duo lost to Dominica Nemcovicava and Dijana Stanic of South Alabama, 8-2.
    In singles, Tarryn Rudman played for the Draw A Consolation championship by facing school rival Virginia Tomatis of Mississippi. Rudman defeated Tomatis in a super tiebreaker. After losing her first set 6-1, Rudman battled back for a 7-6(5) win in the second. This match was far from over though; both players competed valiantly with Rudman winning 11-9 in the super tiebreaker.
    Magdi Rekasi and Joseph vied for the Draw B Consolation and Draw B championships. Having tasted the bitter sting of defeat earlier that day, Joseph defeated top seeded Ana Rupic of South Alabama 6-2, 6-2.
    Rekasi, not to be outdone by her fellow teammates, won in a super tiebreaker, defeating Nischa Maier-Knapp of UAB by a score of 6-3, 7-5, 10-4.
    After all was said and done, the lady netters showed the state of Alabama once again who controls territorial right in women’s tennis by taking three of six possible championships.