Volleyball prepares for Razorbacks

When the Mississippi State volleyball team takes the court on Sunday, they will have the opportunity to brand their name in the Mississippi State history books.
    The team, which sports six freshmen and a first-year coaching staff, has tied the school record for SEC wins in a season, notching their fifth win at Mississippi Wednesday night.
    “We’re excited to still have a chance to get to six wins,” head coach Tina Seals said. “and also there is still a possibility of getting to the SEC tournament. So we’re excited about that, too.”
    The only team prior of this group to win five SEC games in a season came back in 1998 under Seals predecessor, Brenda Bowlin. That State team followed a similar pattern to this year’s squad, winning three SEC road games and sweeping Ole Miss.
    Also on the line for Lady Bulldogs is the possibility of post-season play. The Bulldogs are tied with Auburn for the final conference tournament spot, but the Tigers hold the tie-breaking advantage via their two wins over the Bulldogs. However, if Auburn were to lose at home to Kentucky tonight, the VolleyDawgs would only be one win away from a spot in the dance.
    “We have so many opportunities on Sunday,” says junior hitter Rachel Cooper. “It’s a chance to make history, and to do something good for the program.
    “Making the SEC tournament is something I personally have dreamed about for my entire career, and it’s exciting because I’ve never been this close. We’re going to leave it all on the court Sunday,” Cooper said.
    The Lady Dawgs task on Sunday will not be an easy one. Their opponent will be the SEC West leading Arkansas Razorbacks. Arkansas, at 9-6 in the conference, will be looking to sure up a third seed in the SEC tournament with a win on Sunday, and Seals knows the Bulldogs are in for a fight.
    “We’re going to come out and play,” Seals said. “Arkansas has a very good team; hopefully we can give them a good match.”