Officials crack down on decals

Motorcyclists and commuter students now face stricter decal enforcement.
    Parking policies are in effect requiring all motorcycles to have a parking decal, and any vehicles without decals will be ticketed until 8 p.m. instead of 5 p.m.
    Complaints about motorcycles having cumulated over several months and made their way to traffic policy committee, said Paul Welch, director of Support Services.
    “We want to maximize parking and be as user-friendly as we can.” Welch said. “Nevertheless, the parking committee overrode us. The policy is that all motorcycles have to be registered. Also, there can be no parking on sidewalks and especially no driving on sidewalks.”
    “If it’s a hazard, [drivers] need a ticket.” said Sgt. Vic Nickels, parking services master police officer. “Motorcycles are supposed to be ridden in the street, with the flow of traffic. Do not ride against the flow of traffic and do not get on the sidewalk. We don’t want to compound the problem.”
    Motorcyclists can park in student parking once they purchase a decal. Since an emphasis is made on maximizing student parking, there will also be designated areas for motorcyclists to park.
    Motorcyclists may park in the patio area on the east and west side of Allen Hall and behind McCool Hall, Welch said.
    “They’re good places for motorcycles,” he said. “It keeps them out of parking lots and helps us to maximize parking spaces on campus.”
    Another area for motorcycle parking is the closed road between Simrall Hall and the Stennis Institute across from the library. Staff and students with decals may also park in these areas.
    “We understand that we have a lot of students, faculty and staff that ride motorcycles,” Welch said. “Parking services appreciate that because generally [motorcycles] have not been a problem with parking or traffic.”
    Motorcycles have to be in a parking place, and as long as they have a decal to park in the correct parking places, they can, Welch said. The traffic policy committee will be enforcing the university’s rules and regulations concerning motorcycles.
    “We’re hoping that this will help us identify to our users out there that there are some places [motorcyclists] will be able to park, and they won’t be ticketed as long as they have their decal,” said Welch.
    Motorcyclists aren’t the only ones affected by new procedures from the traffic policy committee. Anyone driving on campus without a decal is also a target for a ticket.
    “The university is looking for vehicles on campus who do not have a decal,” Welch said. “It’s not only students. Staff and faculty are trying to avoid buying a decal as well. Last week alone, one faculty member was hiding his car to the point of taking his tag off because he didn’t want to buy a decal.”
    “Parking decals serve a dual purpose. It’s a right to use your vehicle on campus, and it’s right to park,” Nickels said. “If you have only one night class, you are a student here, and students are required to have a parking decal. Faculty, staff, everyone is required to have one.”
    The committee is trying to give fair warning to those who operate a motorcycle or car, Welch said. “Be sure that it is decaled,” Welch said. “I wouldn’t risk getting a $50 ticket because I didn’t want to buy a $25 decal.”