Capitol Steps brings political satire to campus

In response to the tense political climate this year, the Lyceum Series will bring relief to the campus in the form of The Capitol Steps, a comedy troupe made of congressional staffers turned comedians. They are scheduled to perform their unique brand of political humor tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the Colvard Union Ballroom.
    Deemed “equal opportunity offenders,” the Washington, D.C.-based Capitol Steps have gained national acclaim for their political satire. Formed in 1981, the Capitol Steps have recorded 21 albums, including their latest, “One Bush, Two Bush, Old Bush, New Bush.” They have been featured on NBC, CBS, ABC and PBS, and can also be heard four times a year on National Public Radio stations nationwide during their “Politics Takes a Holiday” radio specials.
    With so much experience under their belts, the Capitol Steps have become seasoned veterans and their shows have been said to be among the best, and funniest, in the country.
    “I’ve heard many good things about their performances,” Maridith Geuder, associate director of University Relations, said. “Their shows have been described as lively and very entertaining. I’ve heard they’re supposed to have the audience ‘rolling in the aisles’.”
    The Capitol Steps may seem like just another comedy group taking potshots at political figureheads, but the fact that each of the members of the troupe have worked in Congress proves they have first hand knowledge of the people they’re skewering, making their routines all the more humorous.
    “All of the comedians in the Capitol Steps have worked on Capitol Hill before,” Geuder said. “They have an unusual vision of politics in America, and they make fun of Democrats and Republicans alike, so there’s no biasness.”
    Most of what the Capitol Steps has to say will be particularly interesting to hear because of the recent presidential election and the fact that it will be performed in Mississippi.
    Kell Smith, the graduate assistant for the Lyceum Series, said this year’s organizers had received a lot of positive feedback.
    “Everyone tends to look at the seriousness, but anytime you can throw some humor in it and bring the lighter side of politics out, is a good thing,” Smith said.
    Smith added that this year’s election helped to influence the decision to bring the nationally renowned Steps to MSU.
    “I think coming off the heels of an election, there will be much to talk about,” Geuder said. “An election year always gives an abundance of topics to talk about. I think the performance will also lighten up what was a very serious campaign and provide some relief to all the heated debates of the past year. Mississippians have a good sense of humor and I think everyone will enjoy it regardless of party lines.”
    “The Capitol Steps do a good job of being non-partisan,” Dennis Prescott, the vice-president of external affairs, said. “I highly recommend anyone who loves political satire like myself to go see their show. Especially because of the election year, there will be lots of stuff to have a good laugh about.”
    The Capitol Steps are sure to entertain their audience regardless of what party affiliation they have. They poke fun at everyone and make sure the audience enjoys every part of the show.
    “Come early, get a good seat and prepare to laugh,” Prescott said. “Everyone will thoroughly enjoy it.”