Vet school celebrates 30th year

The College of Veterinary Medicine is celebrating its 30 year anniversary and dedicating a new equine reproduction research facility today. The facility is named after actor Morgan Freeman.
    The program will begin at 10 a.m. with recognition of upgraded programs at the college. The center for environmental health sciences, which is a major improvement for research capabilities, will be dedicated.
    At 10:45 a.m., Freeman will be recognized in the auditorium for the research horse reproduction unit that bears his name. Freeman and the state provided funding for the structure, said Wayne Groce, a professor in the College of Veterinary Medicine.
    “The new research center is an upgraded area to allow research in modern equine reproduction,” said John Thomson, dean of the college.
    At noon, there will be a ceremony to officially mark the 30 years since the start of the veterinary school in its education and research abilities.
    “In 1974, the legislation for the veterinary program passed, and we are going to celebrate that,” Thomson said.
    Throughout the event, people will also be asked to tour the facilities, Thomson said. Those who tour can see the upgraded facilities as well as artwork from two famous artists.
    Bill Wegman and Bill Dunlap, two internationally known artists, have provided an exhibit to be displayed in the Wise Center. The artists render animals in their drawings in place of people. The exhibit will be displayed throughout the semester, Thomson said.
    Along with Freeman, Lt. Gov. Amy Tuck is scheduled to speak at the event. President Charles Lee, Commissioner of Agriculture Lester Spell and Congressman Chip Pickering are also attending the celebration today. James Miller, the first dean of the veterinary medicine program at MSU, will also be attending to speak.
    A video recapping the vet school’s last 30 years will play after the recognition ceremony.