Senior picked to serve on National Collegiate Honors Council

Holli Hitt, a senior majoring in communication, has been selected to serve as one of six student representatives on the governing board of the National Collegiate Honors Council.
    About 700 colleges and universities are members of the council, and over 300 faculty members, students and administrators have personal memberships in the organization.
    Hitt will begin her two year term in June.
    “I feel that both the leadership experience and the opportunity to see a large organization operate on the national level will be invaluable to me,” Hitt said. “With so much of my future uncertain, I see every new relationship and experience as profound and impactful. I don’t think this will be an exception.”
    The council’s governing board consists of 18 faculty and students and five officers holding elected positions.
    Faculty members are elected for three-year terms, while students serve for two-year terms.
    The board, also known as the Executive Committee, approves all policy and financial decisions, working with an operating budget of $200,000 and a conference budget of about $400,000, said council executive secretary/treasurer Elizabeth Beck.
    The council president, Norman Weiner, praised Hitt after working with her on the planning of the national meeting in Chicago, and after her logo design was selected for the convention, said MSU Honors program director Jack White.
    Hitt received the greatest number of votes of any candidate, White said.
    “My role on the executive council is two-fold, and it involves not only speaking on behalf of students, but also really listening to student concerns,” Hitt said.
    Hitt is among more than 1,000 active participants in the Mississippi State University Honors Program.
    She has served in the program since her election as a freshman delegate. Hitt gave presentations at both the Southern Regional Honors Council conference and the NCHC conference.
    “(Hitt) has been a model leader among leaders in her work with the Honors Council, notably in guiding a study of student concerns for evaluations of professors and courses and in being a collegial team member on all Council projects,” White said.
    Hitt is a Schillig Scholar and a member of the Chi Omega sorority.
    “I want to be a student representative that honors students feel they can contact with ideas or questions,” Hitt said.