Barbie and Ken call it quits

Another celebrity relationship has gone down the tubes. Was it her career? Was it his reluctance to marry? Gossip columnists will have to determine the real cause.
    According to their business manager they feel the need for some quality time apart, but they will still remain friends. Who am I talking about? Barbie and Ken, of course.
    Mattel has recently announced that Barbie and Ken are splitting up 43 years together. Since neither looks a day over 21, I am sure they will find other fish in the sea soon enough. It is tragic to see how few celebrities can make their relationships work.
    With Barbie’s career pulling her in so many directions, it must have been tough. I am sure her schedule as a doctor, lawyer, nurse, soldier, rock star, astronaut and surfer kept her busy and away from home.
    The real question is: what was Ken doing all this time? He never seems to have matched her career pace and skills. I guess he just could not handle a relationship with a woman who made more money than he did. Anyway, did Ken really have a job besides being Barbie’s boy toy?
    Of course, rumors abound. In her latest move, Barbie has gone to California where she surfs and works on her tan. Maybe she is trying to lose the good girl image or maybe she is trying to forget her khaki-and-sweater-clad, country club ex-boyfriend. Either way, she dumped him and has made the effort to get over the relationship before he has.
    There are the rumors about Barbie and other men as well. There is Blaine, the Australian boogie-boarder who has more of a bad-boy image. Maybe Barbie is just following the steps of other celebs who have gone for the rough-around-the-edges types such as Nick Lachey, Justin Timberlake or Ashton Kutcher. OK, so they are still “pretty boy” types compared to Kid Rock, but not as much as Ken.
    There may also be a connection with G.I. Joe’s lack of availability the last year or so. Barbie has long been known to hang out with G.I. Joe in a sort of love/hate relationship that was never well-defined. G.I. Joe and Barbie seemed to play well together but a job defending freedom and America often calls one away from home.
    Although Barbie always claimed to be with Ken, many reported seeing Barbie and Joe together in the backyard or inside the dark confines of the toy box.
    There are also the rumors about Ken’s sexuality. With all the recent changes allowing for gay marriage, maybe Ken no longer feels a need to repress his sexuality. Could we possibly see Ken taking a male partner in the future? I am sure the paparazzi will be watching to see if Ken heads for San Francisco any time soon.
    It must have been tough for Ken. After all, what do you get the woman who has everything? Maybe Barbie was just tired of getting bad Valentine’s Day gifts. It is especially sad to have dumped him so close to the holiday.
    Maybe it’s a publicity stunt. Next Barbie will start showing her nipple or kissing other women at awards shows. I just don’t foresee Barbie ever going that direction since her money comes largely from parents.
    Maybe she can get her own reality television show, “Dating Barbie.” Celebrity guys could be filmed going on a date with her and trying to win her heart. The problem comes with the lack of eligible, 11-inch-tall, plastic men.
    So, Barbie Millicent Roberts-yes, she has a whole name-may be experiencing the single life for awhile. After a 43-year relationship that started when she was only 3 years old, maybe she has simply outgrown Ken.
    We will all just have to wait and see what happens when G.I. Joe gets back from Iraq. Maybe Barbie is just building up for a big welcome home celebration where she can show her support for her troops. Go Joe!
    John Summerlot is a graduate student in counseling education. He can be reached at [email protected].