Starkville Board of Aldermen discuss police, firefighters

The number of cases in Starkville’s Municipal Court has declined, the Board of Aldermen learned Tuesday.
    Judge William Eshee said over the last year the “number of total cases has decreased, primarily in traffic citation.”
    Starkville Police Chief David Lindley said the decrease was because the officers’ time was committed to training.
    “The decrease in tickets was expected because of the increase in training,” Lindley said. “More time in training meant less time on the street for traffic violations.”
    With officers back on the street as of Jan. 28, the police have made 83 arrests, and the court collected $50,000 in overdue charges.
    “I’m glad to see the patrolmen back downtown,” Alderman Frank Davis said.
    The aldermen also unanimously approved the Starkville Fire Department to hire a company to check the fitness and health of firefighters.
    The medical evaluations by the North Greenville Fitness and Cardiac Rehabilitation Clinic will cost $190 per individual. Tupelo, Biloxi and Columbus have similar programs.
    “We will test 11,500 police, fire, and EMT personnel this year. We process over 22,000 people,” said Charles Turner, president of the fitness clinic.
    “Our clinic is the only one of this nature in the world,” Turner said. “Our program is built around public safety.”
    Turner said the No. 1 cause of firefighters’ death is heart attack, and their program would reduce the firefighters’ risk.
    “The stress test that we do is proven to be between 70 and 80 percent accurate,” Turner said.
    The Fire Department plans to pay for the program through its training budget. Mayor Mack Rutledge suggested that the Police Department consider using the same program.
    The aldermen also approved the lowest bid for $3,300 to purchase wrought iron rails for the sidewalk at the corner of Jackson Street and Main Street. The rails will match the already existing rails on the other corner.
    “It’s going to be a work of art when it’s completed,” Rutledge said.
    The next meeting will be 5:30 p.m. Feb. 17.