St. Louis Brass Quintet next in Lyceum Series

The St. Louis Brass Quintet will premiere “Arias,” a new work by James DeMars, at their first-ever Mississippi State performance Feb. 12. The renowned brass quintet will be the fourth presentation in the Lyceum Series.
    The group will perform at 7:30 p.m. in McComas Hall Theatre. Tickets are free for students with an MSU ID, $10 for adults, $8 for senior citizens, and $6 for children 3-12. All seats are general admission.
    The ensemble incorporates a wide spectrum of brass instruments in its performances, from classical contemporary brass to animals’ horns and conch shells. The eclectic mix lends an enjoyable twist to the shows.
    The St. Louis Brass Quintet has been performing since 1964. They have entertained all over the country and continue to remain as a superior ensemble. Members include Allan Dean, Ray Sasaki, Thomas Bacon, Melvyn Jernigan and Daniel Perantoni.
    The group will also premiere “Aesop’s Fables” by Anthony Plogg, “Tribute to Pops: Hits of Louis Armstrong,” and a special arrangement of “Sweet Georgia Brown” by Joey Sellers. Their performance will also include selections from other recordings, including the CD “Pops Music of the Americas.”
    Freddie Steinwinder, who works with the Lyceum Series, said the concert is a golden opportunity for music fans at Mississippi State.
    “If anyone is interested in music, then they can appreciate the St. Louis Brass Quintet,” Steinwinder said. “They have a unique way of performing. They try to add humor into their music, so it’s a neat thing to experience.”
    Matt Hillman, a junior and Famous Maroon Band member, said he is looking forward to the concert.
    “I play trumpet, so I’m already interested in brass,” he said. “They are also teaching a master class for students in the band here at MSU, so I’m really excited about learning from them and then being able to listen to them.”