Obey Night Route rules

This past weekend marked the third week of service for the Night Route shuttles that run to Downtown and down Miss. Highway 12. Along with Bulldog Bash and the upcoming Old Main Music Festival, the Night Route is just a piece of the Student Association’s plan to increase opportunities for entertainment.
    So far, this service has been a resounding success. The route has transported more students than many established night shuttles across the country. Every night of the weekend, hundreds of students ride the Night Route to support the businesses that have made this possible-Big Daddy’s, Rick’s Cafe, Old Venice, Old Main Grocery, Bulldog Deli, The Grill, Wal-Mart and the Hunt Club.
    The Night Route is a culmination of years of student demand for increased transportation service on campus and throughout the city.
    Sensitive to students’ concerns, this SA administration has taken the initiative to spearhead this service in order to ensure the safety of our students while providing efficient means of transportation to points of interest around Starkville.
    Unfortunately, this service is only a trial program for this spring semester. Right now, funding is not available for the Night Route, and administrative support for the project is contingent upon the success of this semester.
    What exactly does that mean? In order for this service to continue past this semester, we must show our sponsors that it is in their best interest to invest again, and we must show the administration that we can handle the responsibilities that this service entails.
    Individuals have reported unruly students and other minor disturbances on the buses that are a result of lack of education about the rules of the bus.
    In an effort to ensure that students are aware of the responsibilities that accompany this great service, here are a few things to remember so everyone’s experience on the Night Route is enjoyable:
    * No smoking, food, or drinks will be allowed on the bus. The bus will not move until all food, drinks, and lit cigarettes are disposed of.
    * The driver is the head honcho. Their word is final and to be respected.
    * Students are expected to abide by and will be subject to all state and federal laws as well as all rules and regulations of Mississippi State University.
    * The bus will only stop at the designated routes. It will not stop to drop you off at your apartment or a friend’s house.
    * The bus will follow scheduled times. If the last pickup is 1 a.m. at that respective location, then that will be the last pickup. Basically, if you miss the last bus, it will be your responsibility to find another ride home.
    While these are just a few basic guidelines that we should all recognize as we ride the bus, I believe that they will provide a sound basis for the full enjoyment of the Night Route. By following these simple rules, we will be able to guarantee the continuation of this service that so many of us have been able to enjoy for the past three weeks.
    Again, the SA would like to thank everyone who has worked so hard to make this possible-our administration, our sponsors and, most importantly, our students. Without your progressive ideas and enthusiastic participation, this service would be dead on arrival.
    Remember if you have any concerns or compliments about anything that we are doing-or if there is something that we should be doing, you can always call or e-mail me. My direct line is 325-7930, and my e-mail is [email protected].
    Thanks again for making the Night Route a great success.
    Josh Blades is a senior political science major.