MSU senior Smith Lilley receives Mitchell scholarship

Twelve students throughout the country are picked each year to become Mitchell Scholars from schools such as Stanford, John Hopkins and Princeton. For the first time a Mississippi State student is among them.
    Frank E. “Smith” Lilley Jr., a senior in political science is a Shilling Scholar and received the John C. Stennis scholarship. Now Lilley is one of a dozen students nationwide to receive the Mitchell scholarship.
    The Mitchell scholarship will allow Lilley to study for a master’s degree in international studies at the University of Limerick in Ireland. It covers tuition and housing for one calendar year, as well as expenses of international travel and stipends.
    The George J. Mitchell Scholarship is named after the former senator George Mitchell, who served in the Northern Ireland peace process. Mitchell was a senator for 14 years and served as senate majority leader. Bill Clinton appointed Mitchell to serve as special adviser for economic initiatives in Ireland in 1995.
    The scholarship, which began in 1998, is administered by the U.S.-Ireland Alliance, a non-profit organization based in Washington, D.C. Recipients are chosen for displaying superior levels of academic achievement, leadership and community service.
    “One of the things that sets Smith apart from other students is his curiosity of how the world works,” said Rick Travis, a political science professor. “MSU has developed a niche of winning awards that normally go to Ivy League schools, and Smith’s selection is indicative of the quality of students at Mississippi State.”
    Lilley has served the University Honors Program as chair of the Honors Council and was Secretary-General of the Mississippi Model Security program. He was also named Outstanding Honors Student among more than 1,000 enrolled in the honors program. He currently serves as wing commander of the Air Force ROTC cadet cadre, with responsibilities for training and supervising 90 students.
    Lilley said he applied online for the scholarship by writing an essay, providing up to eight letters of recommendation and receiving an institutional endorsement. Smith was notified by the U.S.-Ireland Alliance in early November that that he was named one of 20 finalists and was interviewed in Washington, D.C.
    Smith credits his success to the education he has received from MSU, as well as the support that the political science department and University Honors Program have provided him.
    “There is no question that Smith is among the top students in the country, and this award is a well-deserved recognition of his achievements,” said Hannah Britton, political science professor. “He has a rare combination of leadership experience, stellar academic performance, and devotion to public service.”