The North Face-worth the price

North Face jackets and fleeces. Doubtless most Mississippi State students either have one or have seen them.
    The North Face was founded by two hiking enthusiasts in San Francisco’s North Beach in 1966. 38 years later, the company is still scaling the heights in popularity-and prices.
    The company sells jackets from $65 to $600, but the most popular style on campus by far is the Denali fleece, which runs for $165. They’re the two-tone fleeces with the high collars and offset white “North Face” logos on the chest and back. Women’s colors include trendy gray-on-lavender and gray-on-pink, while men’s colors are more traditional colors such as black-on-red or black-on-gray.
    Students say they like them for a number of reasons, but not everyone can swing the high price tag.
    Freshman Kristin Clemmer jumped on The North Face bandwagon this Christmas when she received her first jacket. Clemmer said she resembled a snowman in her old white winter coat. She and her boyfriend Petey Crowder decided it was time for a new jacket. Clemmer is now chic in her baby blue Denali fleece.
    “They are comfortable, good for cold weather and very fashionable,” sophomore Sarah Elizabeth Rhett said. Rhett owns two North Face jackets.
    But some students think paying that much for a fleece is ridiculous. “I would never pay $165 for a fleece jacket,” senior Zach Hood said. “Unless it’s going to last forever, I don’t see that happening.”
    Freshman Lindsey Gilbert said she would probably never need a $165 fleece in Mississippi. “I would have to say that North Face jackets are a bit expensive for me,” she said. “They may be nice, but I think I could get one at Old Navy and be just as happy.”
    Reed’s on Main Street sells more North Face jackets than any other brand.
    “The popularity of The North Face in Mississippi has really inclined steadily over the past few years,” sales associate Lurline Barnett said.
    Rooted deeply in the west and in extremely cold areas, North Face has gradually made its mark in the South. Living in an area lacking opportunities for mountain climbing and snow skiing, Mississippians invest in the popular apparel for cold days on campus and for vacations.
    Surprisingly, only eight North Face stores exist. Most of them are in the Midwest, but London and New York each have one.
    The company also carries apparel accessories, footwear, tents, sleeping bags, backpacks, and eye equipment.
    The North Face was the only supplier in the United States to offer a comprehensive supply of high-performance outerwear, skiwear, sleeping bags, packs and tents only one decade after their emergence. In 1996, The North Face made its appearance in sportswear for rock climbers, backpackers, hikers, trail runners and outdoor enthusiasts. The company then launched its brand of trekking and trail running shoes in 1999.